• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Blue Snowflake - Review

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
As soon as I saw this model on the website I knew I needed one, it was love at first sight. From ordering to arrival was 6 days. 2 days being built and tested (these are built to order as are all Mod-Spex watches) and 4 days shipping from the UK to Australia! You can't really fault that, can you?

I got a nice set of QC pics a couple of which are shown below:

After I approved it was lightening fast shipping and turned up on my doorstep four days later. The watch came packed well in a Fedex pouch, a lot of bubblewrap and a nice little case.

It came with the brown leather strap I had requested to replace the bracelet (if I put this on a bracelet it will be a jubilee or shark mesh, I'm not a fan of the Oyster), two NATA straps and both a screwdriver and a springbar tool.

What more could you ask for?

I love this watch, it's well put together, no excess slop in the bezel, the plexi and case were both flawless, not a mark on either and the polich on the sides of the case is mirror, better than most reps. The watch was ticking away on arrival and keeping time, I just changed timezones, the minutes were correct. The protector on the bezel was a Noob one and the case certainly has that quality so it may well be one of their vintage Rolex cases. The high dome plexi is quality, unmarked as I said with minimal distortion (there is some near the edges of course, it's a high plexi). The insert fit is good, even and tight and the crown is an unbranded 702 style crown.

The quality of the strap is fine, it's good leather, sealed on the edges and back with a good cast (not stamped) buckle in Stainless.

It's more than adequate being a quality strap (Mod_Spex sell these as well) but I prefer a thicker strap so I'll have @johng (Nero Straps on RWG) do me one of his Swiss Ammo straps for this watch in a nice dark red/brown. It will suit it to a tee.

I'm yet to test the power reserve but being the Seiko NH-35 it should be around 41 hours. Oh and the lume is very good indeed for vintage tinted lume, it was still readable in the dark after six hours.

All in all this is a great watch, it really is beautiful in blue with the vintage dial and plexi with the snowflake hands making for a very pleasing appearance. For US$248 it's great value as well. This won't be the last piece of theirs in my collection I'm sure.

Unfortunately, if you want one you will need to do a backorder as the sold-out sign is up on the website for this model but I'm sure @CleanRolexAD will be along shortly to tell us when they will be available once more. There are plenty of other combinations available on the site, some of which I have my eye on so go take a look for yourself: https://mod-spex.com/collections/all I'm waiting to see what the currently out of stock Chronographs look like, if I like than there will be one in my future I'm sure.

Sorry for the slightly crappy photos, the weather here has been crap so the natural light is rather dodgy. I really must find where I stored my light tent and photo lights; I put them "somewhere safe", LOL.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Nice watch. Especially for the cost. Classic look.

Reactions: CleanRolexAD

CleanRolexAD

Getting To Know The Place
Trusted Dealer
23/9/22
Hi @trailboss99 many thanks for this flattering & comprehensive review.
Hope you enjoy the watch & wear it in the best of health buddy.

The Blue Snowflake is quite an obscure stock for me usually, as most prefer other models.
So I don't stock excessive amounts of parts for this build as I don't sell huge amounts of them.

Following this review though I will build more of this Mod & moving forward build whatever people like.

Expect the blue snowflake in stock in, 2-3 weeks.

Usually I take deposits for custom Mods but for RWI members will waive that & take orders on their word.

So if you want one, please don't hesitate to msg me.

Thanks,
Mod-Spex

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Hi @trailboss99 many thanks for this flattering & comprehensive review.
Hope you enjoy the watch & wear it in the best of health buddy.

The Blue Snowflake is quite an obscure stock for me usually, as most prefer other models.
So I don't stock excessive amounts of parts for this build as I don't sell huge amounts of them.

Following this review though I will build more of this Mod & moving forward build whatever people like.

Expect the blue snowflake in stock in, 2-3 weeks.

Usually I take deposits for custom Mods but for RWI members will waive that & take orders on their word.

So if you want one, please don't hesitate to msg me.

Thanks,
Mod-Spex
Let me know. I would love to add one to my rotation. Classic look and can look great with casual, everyday clothing. Thanks.

OI812

17/3/06
Beautiful watch tb and C R AD! I have 1 "Seiko mod" (via another source) and 1 other on the way. Overall I love mine. The NH34a (it appears I'm not alone as apparently there are issues with the 34a) in my watch failed and the seller is replacing it with another complete head. So, in essence I'm getting 3 watches for the cost of 2 as I'll drop a replacement 34a in..... crossed fingers.

I will commit to one a well! Please contact me when you're in need of payment.

Thank you!

CleanRolexAD

Trusted Dealer
23/9/22
Let me know. I would love to add one to my rotation. Classic look and can look great with casual, everyday clothing. Thanks.
For sure will do, I've got parts ordered & working on getting a new batch done.

As soon as they're ready I'll reach out @occb2

Thanks for your interest

CleanRolexAD

Trusted Dealer
23/9/22
For sure will do, I've got parts ordered & working on getting a new batch done.

As soon as they're ready I'll reach out @occb2

Thanks for your interest

Reactions: occb2

OI812

17/3/06
C R AD, If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion to you. In my opinion there is a solid market for quality "vintage" homages....1675 (both SS and Root Beer, Military, etc. If you can procure the necessary parts to piece together both accurate and quality pieces I think they'll be in demand. Ebay is flooded with homages to modern watches, but, not necessarily quality homages to the classics. I THINK there is a nice "niche" market to be captured if high quality is assured.

I apologize if I stepped out of my lane a bit....😉

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
C R AD, If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion to you. In my opinion there is a solid market for quality "vintage" homages....1675 (both SS and Root Beer, Military, etc. If you can procure the necessary parts to piece together both accurate and quality pieces I think they'll be in demand. Ebay is flooded with homages to modern watches, but, not necessarily quality homages to the classics. I THINK there is a nice "niche" market to be captured if high quality is assured.

Not at all, I agree entirely. he has a vintage COMEX there ready to go and a T Dial that's currently sold out that I'll be picking one of up sooner or later. Best you drop the guy a PM mate so he has you on list for when they come in.

Reactions: OI812

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Picture this with a faded insert, a plexi instead of the sapphire, and some ageing on the dial and case.

Ordered with the plexi it's all there, all one needs to do is age it and it would look stunning. I even have a couple of NOS period correct Tropic rubber straps here that would be perfect on this. These are cheap enough for people to have a go and try their hand at a bit of vintaging. All the info to give it a go is here on the forum along with plenty of people who will be happy to help with advice.

For those who don't know, back in the 60s and 70s you could order your Submariner minus the bracelet to save money as doing so reduced the cost by almost a third. A lot of four and early five-digit subs and Sea Dwellers were ordered that way which is why you see them on leather or rubber.

CleanRolexAD

Trusted Dealer
23/9/22

@OI812 Really appreciate the advice & will gladly build what people want to see, incidentally I do prefer the vintage builds for the reasons you mentioned. As well it's a great way to enjoy a classic as a daily wearer.

Funny you mention that, i'm doing a 1675,as well as a Kermit. Will look into the vintage root beer too bud.

Thanks again for the advice & love that Acronym CRAD :LOL:

I'll see you in the PM's bud & will get onto that new batch of snowflakes....🤙

• Love
Reactions: jp3007_1 and OI812

CleanRolexAD

Trusted Dealer
23/9/22
Picture this with a faded insert, a plexi instead of the sapphire, and some ageing on the dial and case.

Ordered with the plexi it's all there, all one needs to do is age it and it would look stunning. I even have a couple of NOS period correct Tropic rubber straps here that would be perfect on this. These are cheap enough for people to have a go and try their hand at a bit of vintaging. All the info to give it a go is here on the forum along with plenty of people who will be happy to help with advice.

For those who don't know, back in the 60s and 70s you could order your Submariner minus the bracelet to save money as doing so reduced the cost by almost a third. A lot of four and early five-digit subs and Sea Dwellers were ordered that way which is why you see them on leather or r
Definitely.
A vintage 5513 build with plexi dome & faded bezel. Ageing the dial would be a new process , i'll be sure to check the forums for info & see if I can delve into this area.

I have seen some put bezel inserts in the oven & under UV lights to get the right look. It is certainly food for thought & got me thinking on next mods.

I'll be sure to post in a few weeks with some new creations, thanks again for the input, gives a good sense of direction for what's popular here on RWI.👊

Reactions: OI812

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
A vintage 5513 build with plexi dome & faded bezel. Ageing the dial would be a new process , i'll be sure to check the forums for info & see if I can delve into this area.
Most of the guys will want to do that work themselves anyway, it's a part of the fun. Some don't have the time or the skills so some would be interested in a pre-aged one I'm sure so these are skills worth learning for you. It (vintaging) is time-consuming to do right so people should expect it to pay a fair premium over stock.

CleanRolexAD

Trusted Dealer
23/9/22

For those who don't know, back in the 60s and 70s you could order your Submariner minus the bracelet to save money as doing so reduced the cost by almost a third. A lot of four and early five-digit subs and Sea Dwellers were ordered that way which is why you see them on leather or rubber.

Hey Bud,
Worked on a few new vintage subs & thought this one fitted the brief you mentioned.
The domed plexi does change the look completely & a faded bezel to give this more of a vintage vibe.

Again thanks for the suggestion, have made a few of these.

I'll post images of several new vintage models I've donet & new vintage models on site soon....

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
@CleanRolexAD Looks great mate!
I'm still getting people asking about the blue dial, I keep telling them that I'm sure you will let them know as soon as it's ready.

Reactions: jp3007_1