• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VC Patrimony Traditionnelle

5up3rman

Renowned Member
4/12/10

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Talking to Silix looking at getting the above watch.
wanted it as a smart watch to wear with suits.
he has offered me a quarz movement, i'm not sure how good or reliable quartz is in this type of watch.
but then again i'm not sure how good an automatic movement would be either.
any help, ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
Quartz ticks. A VC would never tick, but sweep. This would be important for me.

On the other hand a quartz watch may be flatter than an automatic.

5up3rman

Renowned Member
4/12/10
sorry what do you mean by flatter?

i would probably only ever wear that watch occasionaly as it would be with suits or smart wear.
so would it be better to have quartz or automatic, or would it not relaly matter

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
By "flatter" he means the case might be thinner and sit more flush to your wrist, which may be more gen-like than the thicker case needed for a rep automatic.

As he said, the quartz second hand will tick once each second instead of a smooth sweep around the dial. This is easily spotted from several feet away (trust me - I look at guys watches constantly while out and about) and anyone who is even vaguely familiar with what the VC brand is would know instantly it is a fake.

If I were getting ANY VC rep, it would have to be automatic only. Just my opinion.

5up3rman

Renowned Member
4/12/10
yea very good point.
i find myself doing that now as well actually.

will wait for the price of automatic

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
i was actually after information on what it means by "Asian Manual Handwind"
and 17J.
does this mean its not automatic?
is it quartz?
sorry i am noob and movements are completely beyond me

The 17J manual hand wound movement is pretty much the same movement as the 21J but without the rotor that makes it automatic (a noobish description but it'll do). They are reliable for the price.

Just know that you will wind it in the morning by turning the crown twenty or thirty times.

5up3rman

Renowned Member
4/12/10
thanks tommy boy, thats clear to me now.

is there any problems with over winding with any of these types of watches

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Well, never say never. As the mainspring gets wound toward its limit you feel some resistance. 20-30 turns is all I give any of mine. That's when you stop winding. You'll be good for the day.

But the nice thing about a hand cranker is that if it stops, you just turn the crown some more and you're back in business. (Just look at your cell phone to see what time it is, set it and wind it back up!)