• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VC Overseas - Get it now or better wait?

heartcore

Horology Curious
20/1/19
I am currently trying to decide on my next rep purchase.

The VC Overseas with white dial is high up on my wishlist.

Reading through the forums it seems that the JJF version is currently considered the best rep with the BP version possibly being the second best. However I understand that both versions have issues, for example a noisy rotor in the JJF version and none of them is considered a super rep.

Therefore I was wondering if I should pull the trigger on one of them now or rather wait for a better version to be released. However considering that this does not seem to be a hugely popular watch the question is if there is a better version to be expected at all.

Would appreciate any advice on whether to wait from the more experienced guys and if the advice is to get a rep now then which version would be the better value for the money , the BP (cheaper) or the JJF (more expensive).

Thanks in advance for any input!

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
I've had a handful of VC overseas over the years. The JJF is a great rep. I didn't care for the rubber strap at all. It is pretty cheap and doesn't work with the watch. The bracelet is fantastic though.

The rotor on the Miyotas can be noisy but a little oil and most of them have quieted right down for me. The ones that haven't I suspect it has to do with a bad bearing or maybe an imbalanced decorated rotor. That said I've only had one or two that wouldnt quiet down as much as I'd like but it did quiet down. For the most part they have all become some of my quieter rotors and a solid accurate movement.

I'd go JJF all day without hesitation. I prefer the black, but I'm a dark dial guy. I've had the black and white in the VC and a similar style in the AP. Grab the JJF, it took a while for a new realease of the Overseas to be released since the last good one a long time ago.

heartcore

Horology Curious
20/1/19
Thanks a lot for the answer!

Think I will take the plunge then and get the JJF. Have been a little hesitant so far because it is not the cheapest rep out there but many experienced guys like you seem to like it so it must be a pretty good rep.

Madcap

Known Member
2/10/17
I have the grey dial JJF and have to say i like it very much, all miyota 9015 watches ive had all suffer from a noisy rotor, but its something that a watch smith / modder can fix easily. Its a lovely watch, only complaint i have is the crown can be a bit slippery to unscrew at times

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I'd wait. Had one and wasn't enthralled with the build quality. I hated the crown and the miyota is annoyingly loud and is in range when it's +/- 30 seconds with no fine adjustment available.

Reactions: stoyania and csthe

JM4

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/5/19
EU
Yes, I think I’ll wait too. I’m overexcited about this watch but I’ll wait. It must be perfect - a perfect super rep - or nothing.
How did jjf manage to miss the correct dial pattern? That’s so disappointing for such an amazing effort to release a quality rep so close to the gen. I’m really crossed! I was going to order the black one with bracelet, but I can only see the wrong pattern in the close up photos - and the overall effect on not that close images. No, in my local pub nobody will jump on my wrist with a magnifying glass; it’s just me, one of many willing to buy it at the current premium price.
...And the noisy Miiyota rotor: not cool.
I’m already browsing around the gen market, any color will do. Blue! I hope a jjf v2 will save me a little fortune.

Last edited:

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
We waited a very long time for the JJF to come around with a good VCO rep. There was one many many years back but besides these two I can't think of another thats worth it. The factories do like to release later versions, but I'm not holding my breath for the VCO. We've been on this revision for a long time

Good deals can be found gen for the older version VC if you look around as that's probabaly your best option.

klockjohan

El Patron
5/12/15
EU
Get it now.
it took 5 years without any good release before the JJF.

You never know how long you must wait until next time.

Buy one and wear it.

If a miracle happens and a better one surfaces, flip.

Reactions: Nivka

JM4

17/5/19
EU
Get it now.
it took 5 years without any good release before the JJF.

You never know how long you must wait until next time.

Buy one and wear it.

If a miracle happens and a better one surfaces, flip.

Yes, I see your point. Since I’m newish I don’t have a history of waiting for anything.
The grey one is a super rep. I can get it service if I’m unlucky with the noisy rotor; and seems the bracelet is great too, silky. Is the jjf bezel real titanium?

Sent from the RWI App

JM4

17/5/19
EU
We waited a very long time for the JJF to come around with a good VCO rep. There was one many many years back but besides these two I can't think of another thats worth it. The factories do like to release later versions, but I'm not holding my breath for the VCO. We've been on this revision for a long time

Good deals can be found gen for the older version VC if you look around as that's probabaly your best option.

Thanks for your view. I have not seen any interesting gen deal so far. I do like very much this model, I’ll follow what’s in the market.
And waiting sucks... I just ordered the jjf :)

Last edited:
G

I had a JJF white dial. It was gorgeous. Unfortunately for me the left justification of the date triggered my OCD too much :(

If you can deal with that (or be blessed to get a more aligned one) go for it!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk