• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VC Contemporaine Date Source question

chartdude

Horology Curious
29/7/15
Friends,

I have been trying to purchase a VC Contemporaine Date for a long time now but I haven't found one.
The two candidates are:
http://www.truetime-168.com/goods.php?id=432 - True time
http://www.puretime.watch/category/vancheron-constantin/offset160/

The price difference is $230 at True time and $330 at Pure time.
My only concerns are: the Dials, and decorated movements.

True time seems to get the movement quite alike while Puretime seems to have a variety (so many of them).

Any one have any experience with this reference please give me some opinion on where to source them? I don't really have a budget.

GEN:
shopping

Mandreas

Renowned Member
9/11/14
DISCLAIMER: No real experience here but just did some (around an hour and a half) research.

The Puretime version that is most accurate (aesthetically) from the best of my analysis is here;

http://www.puretime.watch/product/patrimony-date-ss-40mm-white-dial-on-black-leather-strap-a23j/

----

Here are the pros and cons that I can find of each with my untrained eye;

Case;
Puretime: 40mm x 10mm, 1:1 gen diameter, thicker than gen, Caseback Ardillon stamp only outline.
Truetime: 41mm x 10mm, diameter wider than gen, thicker than gen, Caseback Ardillon stamp is rounded rather than angular

Dial;
Puretime: "Automatic" shouldn't be there, minute markers too large, Date window isn't framed, "Vacheron Constantin" font is not spaced properly, Wrong "Swiss Made" font, Hour markers too thick @3,6,9,12
Truetime: Minute markers are better, Date window is framed, "Vacheron Constantin" font is neither spaced properly nor bold enough, "Swiss Made" font more accurate, Hour markers have more gen-like taper @3,6,9,12

Movement;
Puretime: As much as could be expected from a 23J deco lol
Truetime: Missing 22k stamp on rotor

I would buy the Truetime version if you can live with the 41mm case; by far the superior other than that and the dial font.

chartdude

Horology Curious
29/7/15
Thanks you so much. Im now deciding on the Gold of SS (white gold version). Because its a rep i want to stay low profile so I'm leaning toward the SS version, but the rose gold case does look so gorgeous!

Give me some advice on this!

bobkat

6/7/12
I don't think i could ever be satisfied with the date aperture, until it's stepped.

Mandreas

Renowned Member
9/11/14
Thanks you so much. Im now deciding on the Gold of SS (white gold version). Because its a rep i want to stay low profile so I'm leaning toward the SS version, but the rose gold case does look so gorgeous!

Give me some advice on this!

Personally I always go SS. Most reps, especially lower budgets ones like this, are 3-4x coated with whatever non-SS metal was intended. This means that while they look great and will hold strong vs normal wear, if you unfortunately dig it on something and leave a half-decent scratch, the underlying metal will be exposed and will be a glaring tell the watch isn't gen.