• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Valjoux in my SMP-C!

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
23/10/06
I put a genuine 7750 in my hi-beat SMP Chrono today.
Not that there was a problem with my Joshua supplied watch, just that the Asian 7750 date font was really spoiling such a damn good rep!

smp003.jpg

So, how did I manage to get the large second hand onto the ETA pin? I put the hand face down on a glass table, fixed a fine sewing needle onto the tube vertically, and tapped a few times using a watchmakers hammer!
It opened the tube up just enough to get onto the pin. Was all a bit time consuming but I'm really happy with the result! :D :D :D

smp001.jpg

time_bandit

Known Member
30/10/06
:shock: Wow. :shock:
Excellent work!

If I may ask, what else was required besides resizing the second hand tube?

jb

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
7/9/06
Just to clarify, the hole in the second had to be opened, becayse the pin on the swiss movement is bigger?

What about the minute and hour hand, do they fit without modification?

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
23/10/06
No other mods were required guys. :)

Yes JB, the 28.8k vph Asian large second hand will not fit onto the ETA pin.
However, a 21(.2?)k old skool Asian 7750's hands will go straight onto an ETA. I think there's a chart compiled in the Watch Mods/Movement section.

All the other hands went on a breeze :D

If you were to do the conversion, I'd suggest you try putting the hands onto the pins *before* the hammering! :lol: and the key to hammering (more like tapping) is only do it lightly about 3 or 4 times. Otherwise you'll destroy the tube - like I did when practising with a spare :shock: :lol:

and how it was...notice how the 6 is off to the right?
S5001142.jpg

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
A beaut. The only parts need to be changed is the chrono second counter. The rest fits nicely. Genuine hand should be here next week. Stay tuned people!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Gen crown must be paired with genuine tube too... You have to change the stem to ETA stem too. ETA stem is very very solid. Looks much bigger in diameter.

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
23/10/06
Ok thanks, do you think if the stem tube & crown (as fitted to the rep) were ground down a touch, the crown would sit closer to the case? Or would the stem foul the spring and crown - and damage the mov't....and cause WW3?!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Hmm... don't do that as it won't really change the distance. Just change to genuine crown, genuine tube and ETA stem. That will do.