• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vacheron Constantin Americain?

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Wow.... I've never seen this one before:

vc_1921_lg.jpg

Vacheron Constantin Americaine

The roar of the 20’s came on the heels of World War I. A return to a peaceful nation let loose the creative juices signified by groovy jazz danced by high-spirited flappers. In 1919 Vacheron Constantin put a pocket watch movement into a watch for the wrist. The orientation cocked the dial at an angle, resulting in the crown placed at 11 o’clock. This may have (unintentionally) been the first driver’s watch. If worn on the right wrist, you wouldn’t have to take your hand off the steering wheel. Perfect for tooling around town in your Model T. While the watch reflected the cockeyed and freewheeling sentiment of the age, the dial retained very classical Arabic numerals. Perhaps appropriately, this playful design was intended for the American market and produced in a series of 12.

A couple years later in 1921, Vacheron Constantin altered the position of the crown to 1 o’clock, again making 12 pieces to be shipped to the United States and named it the Americaine 1921. This time the Arabic numerals were created in the Art Deco style. It took 10 years to sell through all of these pieces.

In 2009, Vacheron Constantin took a page from the history books and revived the model. The Historique Americaine 1921 in its current form keeps the crown at 1 o’clock but reverts back to the dial of the 1919 model. Inside ticked the then new in-house calibre 4400, a Geneva seal manual wind movement with a power reserve of 65 hours. This new version proved a hit among fans of the brand and even brought new converts to the fold.

This year at the request of the Milanese retailer Pisa, Vacheron Constantin is issuing a limited edition of 12 pieces of the Americaine 1921. This version has a dark red numeral corresponding to its edition number. As there is no number 3 on the dial, the third watch will have all red numerals. Another little hidden touch is the retailer’s name Pisa printed on the outer minutes section between 6 and 7. Additionally the retailer’s name also appears engraved on the backside of the case under the winding crown. While the dial featuring all the numerals in red makes a colorful statement and stands out, I prefer the more subtle touch of one red number. The 40mm rose gold case will look sharp on either a man’s or woman’s wrist.

MReplica

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
31/3/09
Yes, this model is really sharp. So sharp to me that I could not help chiming in here. :)

I once got a high end replica for this model, 18K Rose Gold and Swiss ETA 7001 Manual Wind Movement. It's a stunning rep, also stunning for the price as a rep, around 6,000$ that time.
It might be out of production from the maker now, but I happened to keep pictures for it.

VC1.jpg

VC2.jpg

I had no skills of adjusting lights that time, so the white dial looks like creamy on the picture. :(

MReplica

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
31/3/09
Yes, some of the rep watches are of crazy price, especially replica gold watches.

Most made-in-China replica gold watches are simple and classic, which cater for the taste of Chinese mostly. So mainstream buyers of these watches are still Chinese natives.

It is rep and of higher value, so real deals are mostly among familiars.

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
Yes, some of the rep watches are of crazy price, especially replica gold watches.

Most made-in-China replica gold watches are simple and classic, which cater for the taste of Chinese mostly. So mainstream buyers of these watches are still Chinese natives.

It is rep and of higher value, so real deals are mostly among familiars.

This is interesting to note. I once was on the lookout for a high quality replica of the Patek Calatrava, and I was quoted something between $1.5K to $2K for a solid gold replica of it.

Are there any high end replicas (approximately $300 or so) of the Patek Calatrava line, in particular, of these two models (even in stainless steel)?

Patek 5127
Patek5127j2.jpg

Patek 5119
PP5119J-01-01.jpg

MReplica

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
31/3/09
This is interesting to note. I once was on the lookout for a high quality replica of the Patek Calatrava, and I was quoted something between $1.5K to $2K for a solid gold replica of it.

Are there any high end replicas (approximately $300 or so) of the Patek Calatrava line, in particular, of these two models (even in stainless steel)?

Patek 5127
Patek5127j2.jpg

Patek 5119
PP5119J-01-01.jpg

For the 5119, the cheapest model that I can get costs aroud 80$ with gold plating on caseset; while the best and most expensive model that I know, with 18K solid gold, costs around $2.5K.
Not sure whether there is a rep around $300.

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
Very interesting place for the stem/crown on the Americain. I'd like one, but not at 6k.

Spboudart

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/9/08
I got mine from Watcheden, it's a cheap version but I like it.
Just wish that there was no '3' on the dial.
DSC04382.jpg

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
The color of the gold aside (is the gen pink/rose gold?), the inner dial has something slightly odd going on, but it's not bad overall I think.

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
I have just bought a quartz version (without seconds) and wanted to change the strap.

But it seems to have neither spring bars nor screws.

Any idea how to do it??? Is there a way to pull the round knobs from the lugs or are they really screws without a cutout?