• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

V5 PO 42mm w/2824 clone >hands issue<

Steven

Renowned Member
17/10/12
V5 PO 42mm w/A2824 bent hands

Obviously new here and to the world of reps so I have a question regarding the hands on my V5 PO.

The hour hand is super close to the dial (in the center). It's so close that it's bent upwards slightly, apparently to clear the logo as it goes around. My other watches' (not reps) hands are mounted high enough that this is not an issue.

So is this common? It's not a deal breaker but I know it's there.

btw movement is verified 2824 clone...

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Any pics? First time hearing about this issue.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I see what are you talking about. If you mess with it though, it may get worst. Tricky one...

Steven

Renowned Member
17/10/12
When I see it screams "cheap" but I'm the only one that will ever notice. I know nothing about putting hands on but could it be they're pushed too far down? or does the shaft not have sufficient height with this case/dial combo?

Steven

Renowned Member
17/10/12
This may be unrelated...

I read a short post on RWG about a 2836-2824 swap. It was said that the 2836 was slightly thicker. I noticed that many POs are fitted with the 2836. Could it be that the use of the 2824 in some way puts the center shaft, canon pinion, etc further from the dial? ...which = poor hand-dial clearance?

watchman12345

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/06
Nope. Doubt it. Your hand is slightly raise at one end. Easy fix but you really don't notice.

spdu4ia

25/7/12
I would have one of our watch smiths take a look at it. Contact them with your pics and they will let you know what your options are. I've used Katt with great success here in the states.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I would say it's probably because it has a DG 4813 movement which are only available with the short canon pin set. It really needs the taller set which are no longer being made.

If you happen to have one with an ETA it's an easy movement swap or a watch maker can change to an H4 set of gears.

Edit: I see it's definitely an eta. I missed that originally.

One problem in using the 2824-2 rather than the 2836-2 is that the standard canon pin set is the H2 (shorter) where the 2836 is standard with H3. This is because of the additional day mechanism on the 2836. With the day mechanism removed it allows more room for little things like dwo's on Rolex reps. That's why they are much more common in our reps.

When I look for a 2824-2 I always would specify H3 or H4 gear height or they just don't work on most of our reps without changing the gears.

watchman12345

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/06
I have seen lots of 2824s and none have had this issue. Maybe the dial isn't seated properly on the movement and is a bit too high? I barely notice it in the pics tbh.

Steven

Renowned Member
17/10/12
I'm adding a post for anyone that may search for this one day. I have looked more closely at members' photos and it seems to be common. I even read one where the watch stopped after hanging on the logo because it was not bent upwards enough. At least mine is not doing that...so all is good and thanks for the responses.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Added to my post above:

One problem in using the 2824-2 rather than the 2836-2 is that the standard canon pin set is the H2 (shorter) where the 2836 is standard with H3. This is because of the additional day mechanism on the 2836. With the day mechanism removed it allows more room for little things like dwo's on Rolex reps. That's why they are much more common in our reps.

When I look for a 2824-2 I always would specify H3 or H4 gear set height or they just don't work on most of our reps without swapping.

My guess is that the factory used the standard height 2824-2 for some unknown reason and had to bend the hands for them to fit.

Steven

Renowned Member
17/10/12
I suspect that's what it is too. I've been looking for a pic of a 42mm (at the right angle) with the 2836 to confirm. I'll know better next time. I do remember thinking it odd that many of the other TDs watches had the 2836 and this one did not. On a related note...the difference in movement thickness may also explain why it is loose and the dial moves when the crown is unscrewed. May have been meant for the '36 all along.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I think you could probably fix the loose dial by bending the little movement holder tabs a bit. Or maybe the screws are just loose. Or, maybe the loose dial has something to do with the position of the hands. It might be worth looking inside and see what's going on.

I've found in every case I've tried that the two movements swap out pretty easy and the stem position hasn't been a problem. I do swap out the dial spacers between the two which might make a difference. Usually that's based on how much space I need for the Rolex date wheel overlay, not the crown height.

Steven

Renowned Member
17/10/12
Is it possible to install the H3 or H4 gear set on the A2824-2 using gen parts from ofrei?

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Yes, they're interchangeable. I just put some from an Asian clone into a broken ETA yesterday just for fun. I was surprised when it fired up and ran.