• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Using a Timegrapher

Kerbus

Renowned Member
16/3/06
FL
After all these years, I bought a timegrapher. I’m not sure how to use it/interpret the results though. I saw one half decent video on YouTube about it and I’ve seen posts here that talk a little bit about it but I’m still unsure about what constitutes a good or bad movement. I haven’t seen much on the acceptable ranges in the different categories. Any info about using one would be appreciated and then I’ll try using mine again. Thanks.

Jackster

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
I have a Weishi 1000, it’s a good basic timegrapher for this hobby. It will give you an indication of accuracy (+/- sec/ day)
Amplitude reading which tells you the health of your movemen, specifically how far the balance wheel is moving in degrees, for this to be accurate you have to know the lift angle for the movement being tested or it will give you a false reading. This is useful because you can test on full wind and then again after 24 hrs rest to see how it performs when not at full wind. If it’s a poor result then time for a service. It tells you the frequency that your movement is running at, it does this automatically. It tells you beat error which is the difference in the swing of the balance wheel, indicated by two lines on the screen the further out the error the bigger the distance between the lines, at a beat error of 0.0 it will appear as one line. You can see how your watch performs in different positions and take an average by adding up the results and dividing by the number of positions recorded, maybe 5 or 6. This is all out of my head so anyone please feel free to correct me or embellish, I’m definitely no expert but I do enjoy tinkering. Have fun! 🤩

Kerbus

Renowned Member
16/3/06
FL
Hey,thanks so much!

your info certainly sounds like an expert

I'm about to tinker with this thing whenever I get a chance and I enjoy learning more about how watches perform

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
if you are interested , i have written a tutorial on how to regulate your watches with a regulation lever