• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

UPO's?

luckie

19/12/11
What makes it a "Ultimate"? What version is it? I keep seeing every PO being called a UPO it seems these days. Is this just a marketing ploy or is there something really to it and some resellers are just using UPO. If it is Ultimate then does the crown not strip like on all the others or what?

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I just assume UPO means the 45mm Planet Ocean as opposed to the 42mm version
Beyond that I don't think the U means anything anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10
Size make no difference (that's what the wife tells me anyway?)

You can buy a basic PO, like the ones narikka sells which are great quality and great value for money. Excellent daily beater too!

Or you can go for the UPO with more accurate pearl and HE valve for quadriple the price. If you're not fussy go with Reg.

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
I may be wrong, but based on my understanding:

A) UPO = latest version of the 45mm Planet Ocean rep. It is labelled ULTIMATE over previous versions of the 45mm PO because it has the correct Omega logo, better AR, correct HEV, more accurate bezel ring and pearl. Any previous versions of the 45mm PO may not have these all issues corrected. All depends on where its coming from.

Note: The Ploprof has a similar label where the ULTIMATE aka V2 Ploprof has the better crystal, functional bezel lock and etc over previous versions.

B) The crowns stripping seem to be a common issue on a lot of PO's. I think its a result of the quality of the tube construction...the tread design is different than the typical crowns like you find on other screw down crowns.

The ULTIMATE reps are just more (and the latest) accurate reps over previous versions.

Note: The 42mm PO's never went by the label ULTIMATE. The latest and greatest version of the 42mm PO rep would be the 5TH GEN version...again same logic as the UPO. Just a different system for labelling the different versions.

luckie

19/12/11
I may be wrong, but based on my understanding:

A) UPO = latest version of the 45mm Planet Ocean rep. It is labelled ULTIMATE over previous versions of the 45mm PO because it has the correct Omega logo, better AR, correct HEV, more accurate bezel ring and pearl. Any previous versions of the 45mm PO may not have these all issues corrected. All depends on where its coming from.

Note: The Ploprof has a similar label where the ULTIMATE aka V2 Ploprof has the better crystal, functional bezel lock and etc over previous versions.

B) The crowns stripping seem to be a common issue on a lot of PO's. I think its a result of the quality of the tube construction...the tread design is different than the typical crowns like you find on other screw down crowns.

The ULTIMATE reps are just more (and the latest) accurate reps over previous versions.

Note: The 42mm PO's never went by the label ULTIMATE. The latest and greatest version of the 42mm PO rep would be the 5TH GEN version...again same logic as the UPO. Just a different system for labelling the different versions.

I can always count on you for some great insight. Thanks

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
UPO will have the SN# at seven and is 45.5mm.

5GPO will have the SN# at seven and is 42mm.

All the rest are plain PO's.

These terms are meant for us. The dealers call them whatever they like. :)

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I can always count on you for some great insight. Thanks

Except that I bought a "UPO" from the D4M group buy in 2009. So much for the "latest version" theory.
And the dealers/factories do indeed pay attention to what's hot and what the tells are as discussed on the forums. Quick simple tool/die changes and Voila! - they are making a watch that has the same little tells as another factory which is commanding a premium.
Why else do you think the Noob factory suddenly came out with so many watches in 2010? Or how about all the H-Factory watches that were being sold by the dealers last year.
It's a business, and an inherently dishonest one at that. If buyers thing the H-Factory Pam 111 is just great and worth an extra $50 over the regular no-name Pam 111, then suddenly every Pam 111 they make/sell is from H-Factory.

End rant. Carry on with your discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

THANKS, Ome3ga_guy, for the info; I had no clue & thanks to luckie for asking!! Very helpful.

dave