• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

UPO with miyota movement question

spon

Horology Curious
6/9/13
Hello all. This is my first post so I hope this question is not out of line. I've been reading non-stop since I found this forum and am ready to make my first rep purchase - an Ultimate Planet Ocean 45mm.

The watch that I'm looking to buy from WBK has a "miyota" movement. From what I've gathered in reading the forums I think this means that it's a 2842 movement, but I'm not entirely sure exactly what that means from a quality standpoint. Am I correct in saying that it would be a ETA clone? It seems like the more I read about the various movements, the more confused I get. I'm not sure if I should ask Stan for more information or if miyota IS enough info and I'm just not knowledgeable enough to understand it.

Thanks for any help!

watchman12345

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/06
Firstly I don't think WBK does the Ultimate 45mm PO. I don't even know if it's still made. Usually WBKs pieces are cheaper asian auto stuff with miyota clone movements.

I would recommend getting the proper 5th gen PO, or ultimate 45mm, or the new Noob PO if you want high quality. The best movement to go for in my opinion is the Asian ETA 2824 / 2836. You looking at between $200-300 though.

spon

Horology Curious
6/9/13
Firstly I don't think WBK does the Ultimate 45mm PO. I don't even know if it's still made. Usually WBKs pieces are cheaper asian auto stuff with miyota clone movements.

I would recommend getting the proper 5th gen PO, or ultimate 45mm, or the new Noob PO if you want high quality. The best movement to go for in my opinion is the Asian ETA 2824 / 2836. You looking at between $200-300 though.

Thank you watchman! I'm not aware of the new Noob PO, so I'll need to do some research on that. I do like the larger size of the 45mm UPO. WBK doesn't have any of the UPO on hand but has a few coming in. As far as I can tell, he's the only TD in the COTUS which is a big plus for me. That said, I am looking for high quality and don't mind paying a bit more or waiting longer to get it.

As far as the movements, the Asian ETA 2824/2836 are different than a miyota movement, correct? Would the miyota movement be considered a less quality clone of the Asian ETA (which itself is a clone of a Swiss ETA?)? Are there then also clones of the miyota movement?

Sorry for the all the questions but I greatly appreciate the help!

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
Miyota in this watch is low beat (21,600bph), but very reliable mov't. Sure, it's not as good, as ETA or clone, because of low beat, but for starter - it's a great watch with good mov't.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
There's a big difference between an actual Miyota movement and an Asian 21j which is designed after the Miyota but is not made Miyota.

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Miyota stuff........

OK, for all those who may not know, a Miyota movement is a Citizen movement. And vice versa OK. Open any Citizen watch and you will be greeted by a Miyota branded movement. Haloo Haloo Mi-Yo-Ta !! There are no Genuine Miyota powered Reps carried by our TDs as of this writing, yet. Clones of the Miyota autos, well a little bit. Mostly me-too copies. Genuine Japanese made Miyota movements are workhorses in the extreme. Low-beat, yes, but a good pulling mule indeed. So any copy should work well too. Nobody copies bad movement designs. The Miyota word is used nowadays because it rings quality. If it does not say Miyota in the movement, it ain't a Miyota, a clone maybe. :cheers: Mee-Yoh-Ta :thumbsup:

spon

Horology Curious
6/9/13
Thank you all for the super fast and informative replies. I think I will pass on this watch and source a version with a high beat (is that the correct term) movement.

spon

Horology Curious
6/9/13
This is a bit off-topic but rather than start a new thread...

Can anyone speak to the quality of the PO Chrono version?
http://www.trwatch.com/product_info.php?cPath=58&products_id=1114

I haven't been able to dig up too much info on the Chrono version (maybe I'm using the wrong search terms). Is it comparable to the UPO? It looks good to me in the photos but I am the very definition of a noob.

Thanks!

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Seems to be a good rep but the modified A7750 movement is probably much more prone to have trouble than the UPO with the ETA/clone 2824-2 movement. I haven't heard much about that particular watch and how reliable it is but even the regular A7750 movements are not that reliable unless you get them serviced.

spon

Horology Curious
6/9/13
Thanks KBH. I think I'll stick with the non-chrono version.