• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

UPO winding problem!

tjdilla

Renowned Member
Certified
15/1/12
hey guys just got a quick question about my upo crown.

after iv unscrewed my crown(and it then pops out) its in the winding position,

however when I start winding it it quite often suddenly "slips" and despite me turning the crown I can feel its not winding(only for half a wind or so) and then it feels like it catches back on and I can feel it winding, however a couple of turns more and "slip" again, itl freely turn for a half turn or so not winding then catch ok and round we go!

what's happening? as this feels very very precarious and I I'd like to get this sorted!

thanks in advance :)

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Hi Chou, wow, doesn't sound great, I wonder is the crown loose on the stem, as in not set tightly? Quite possible the stem is not fully home in it's proper position in the watch also. The worst possible case scenario is that some of the manual winding mechanism may be worn out, (gears missing teeth or partly missing teeth?) causing it to slip.
Just to add I'm not a watchsmith so don't take my comments as gospel. First I'd say open the back up and release the stem and then check the crown is tight on the stem and put the stem back in securely, you will need a 1.5mm flat head screwdriver to release the stem. See if that works? By the way is it changing time setting and date setting working ok without slipping?

msap7222

Known Member
28/3/11
I'm having the same issue on my 45mm UPO!

I'm reluctant to release the stem as the last 2 watches I did this to went to the graveyard (sure I messed up the keyless works)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grejyedi

29/12/11
You don't really need to wind an automatic watch - just shaking it should be enough to start it,

I haven't wound an automatic watch in 20 years.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Yep keyless works are a bstard if they kick up on stem release. Just keep the stem in the winding position, and use a correct width screwdriver for the slot, a very slight pressure is all thats needed to release, thumb and forefinger pressure should do it. Just pull slightly on stem while releasing and it should pop out. Too many use gorilla strength to release the stem, or wrong size screwdriver.

You don't really need to wind an automatic watch - just shaking it should be enough to start it,

I haven't wound an automatic watch in 20 years.

I've had plenty of autos that needed a little more than a shake to get going, winding a little can be useful, and if it manual winding isn't working then it's a defect. It might be worth contacting the TD if you need any spare parts once you know whats wrong chou. Any watchsmiths in your area that may be willing to have a quick look at it?

tjdilla

Renowned Member
Certified
15/1/12
thanks for all the replies guys!

Im actually going to be putting a gen crown/tube on it in a couple of weeks so il have a look then and let you know how i get on. As for releasing the stem, can i just confirm in that position it should be in? (ie time set mode, date set or even just unscrewed and in wind mode? )

as for not needing a wind the real issue is that i dont want it to ruin the watch anymore than i need to.... and besides i dont want to have to shake my watch even time i want it to start....

and if its a issue with the crown and it gets worse and im unable to set the time im completely buggered then!

ultimately worse comes to worse il just replace the whole movement with a seagull....

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Hi Chou, I've seen a few different comments on stem release position, but the one I see the most is to have the watch in standard handwind position (first position), that is the one most watchsmiths recommend afaik. Just go easy, when putting back in the stem, wiggle it a little and be ready to press on the slot again to position home.

I hope it goes ok, doing the crown/tube mod is definitely worthwhile, it would be a pity if the movement is flaky but as you say it can be replaced reasonably cheaply.