• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

UPO or not?

smithy37

3/2/09
I have received my UPO back from being repaired and the serial number on the back near the lug has vanished. Now I am assuming the case might have been swapped for some reason. What rep model comes without this engraving, or can you get UPO's without the engraving.

I am concerned because I paid for a Genuine Swiss ETA UPO that he had supposedly verified. (Name of repairer/seller witheld until corroberated)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Post some pics of it. Especially the front and the pearl. If you want to verify the movement take a ball of duct tape and press it against the case back and twist left. This will allow you to open it but not scratch the caseback.

smithy37

3/2/09
Please find attached the pictures. I have taken them at work on an Iphone, so apologise for the quality.
I will have to add another picture with the caseback off tonight as my tools are at home.

th_IMG_0018.jpg

th_IMG_0019.jpg

th_IMG_0017.jpg

I just want to know why my so called UPO now doesn't have it's serial number engraved at the 7 o clock position.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Well I have an idea. This could get scattered real quick. If you want to PM me I can get some more details.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Make a Duct tape ball and open the case back. Then photo your watch. One positive note that I see, is that your crown and He look pretty good. :D Also, My 3rd gen 42PO also is lacking the S#, it's not a big deal to me.

smithy37

3/2/09
Hi R2,

The fact the serial number isn't there wouldn't normally concern me, just the fact it left my wrist with one and then, after mods & repairs, came back without it. I appreciate the guy did a bit of polishing, but bloody hell, he must have some elbow grease to polish out the number stamping :)

As long as it checks out, I can live with it.

Thanks again for the input

b16a2

13/1/07
Looks like a UPO to me....He valve, logo and pearl are all correct for that model.

If you want to check whether or not it is a swiss/asian clone, get the caseback off and take a few pictures for us.

wadia860

Horology Curious
4/12/06
smithy37 said:
. What rep model comes without this engraving

The £30/$48 Planet Oceans from CQOout don't have serial No's on the back. Can put photo's on here if you liike.

Mobius

I'm Pretty Popular
I did a bit of research and came up 50/50 with the serial number on the back of the UPOs (asian and swiss). Finding a gen that shows the back is hard to find but, Bernard Watch Co. at http://www.bernardwatch.com/watch/OMG1511 shows the backing of one and as near as I can tell ... no serial number. I agree you should have gotten back the watch with the original backing but, I think you should be alright.

D

d4m.test

Ive had three different UPO's all from different dealers, all had the exact same serial number.
You would not likely be able to "polish" the serial number off of a UPO... it would take some sand paper!