• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

UPO 'Lite' from Andrew (Trusty)

sportsterrider

Horology Curious
8/1/07
I've been wanting one of the UPO's for a while, but decided to go with the 'lite' version as it's the exact same watch, sans the ETA movement and about $140.00 additional dollars. It took a little longer than usual to get here, but the entire transaction was smooth and without a doubt, I would do business with Andrew again!

I'm blown away by the quality of this watch. Having just visited the AD about a month ago looking at PO's, I can say that this rep is just unbelievable in every way. I'm surprised I haven't seen the lite version of this watch more often on the various boards considering how much cheaper it is with the movement being the only difference.

From what I can tell, I got a good one. The crown works flawlessly, the bezel pearl is nice and level (although, like all other PO's it's a little lower than on the gen) and the He valve seats nicely. If the SFSO is supposed to be even better (thanks for the comparo, By-Tor!), I can only imagine how nice that one must be!

Anyway, I took a couple quick shots...

DSC02760.jpg

DSC02759.jpg

DSC02755.jpg

DSC02752.jpg

DSC02751.jpg

DSC02784.jpg

DSC02783.jpg

DSC02772.jpg

DSC02770.jpg

DSC02767.jpg

DSC02766.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality, I didn't have time to clean these up but I wanted to post this before heading out..

SR

Bearcat

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/10/06
Nice!

Beautiful watch. Nice shots. As Sub4Me said.....you are lucky and got a good one. I have seen a number of other examples that were not so pretty.

Best,

--Doc

sportsterrider

Horology Curious
8/1/07
SilverSurfer said:
Beautiful watch!

... just ry to aviod tightening the crown way too much. :wink:

Thanks guys.

Ya, I've read about how some have had problems with the crown threads stripping, so I've been careful when using it. I just lubed all the seals yesterday with Loctite Silicone Lubricant (51360 - great stuff!) and verified that it's water tight to at least 10 feet. It's been keeping excellent time and so far, so good.

At this price, this thing should have sold like crazy. I can appreciate the reasoning behind going with an ETA version, but for $128.00, you get the exact same watch, sans the ETA movement. If it turns out to be a keeper (looking very much like it will be. I haven't taken this thing off since I got it) there is always the option to mod it with an ETA movement, gen hands, dial and crystal.

You guys are the only ones to comment (nothing from RWG or RepGeek). Thanks!

SR

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
all i can tell you is that my po has stripped the crown 4 times, once in the dealers hands after it was repaired. i ordered gen parts for it and it was shipped to vaccum today. he has enough requests for this problem to be repaired he immediately wanted the part numbers, the source and the prices for the parts. this is a huge problem with these watches and you aren't going to read that in the big reviews. trust me, i got a really good feeling about this one. if you ever want to know what problems a watch has you have to ask the right people.

taiji

30/11/06
@HK45ca

Thanks for the info.

Luckily I bought a gen crown and tube from Ofrei. I mean just in case the rep crown is stripped off.

@Takashi

Appreciate for your recommendation to buy this parts as the UPO is one of my fav.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
it yours takes 3 or 4 turns to screw the crown down tight it will be fine but if it screws all the way down in about 1/2 - 1 turn it is going to strip. the last time mine was fixed it felt smooth as silk, it worked 4 or 5 times and it stripped.