• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

UPO: is this nickel 2824-2 swiss or clone?

craptacular

Horology Curious
26/4/08
Just bought my 2nd UPO (trying a black bezel this time) sold to me as a "swiss 2824-2", and when I received it I opened the caseback to check out the movement to find this decorated nickel movement:

NickelMov1.jpg

NickelMov2.jpg

NickelMov4.jpg

I sure wasn't expecting THAT. It's pretty, but it's lacking any kind of ETA stamp.
I haven't seen a decorated movement on a UPO before, so... is it swiss or a clone?

Pannyforme

Renowned Member
27/8/08
well if im not mistaken,i have read past threads,this is a seagull copy of the 2824..

owdeguy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/2/08
That is definitely not an ETA. There are no stampings anywhere to be seen.

craptacular

Horology Curious
26/4/08
So now comes the hard part for me. I purchased this from a private seller and paid quite a bit more than the current ETA-clone group buy price. Granted, it shipped fast, I didn't have the customs risk and it did come with both the SS bracelet as well as one of the rep rubber diver's straps I've been wanting...

I don't blame the seller at all. He purchased it from Josh as a Swiss ETA, so I don't think he was trying to pull one over on me.

So what's the right thing to do now?

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Asian made :)

Well... I should show you the one that comes with Omega closed factory... looks very similar but with much better finished. Sadly, lost the pictures already.

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
craptacular said:
So now comes the hard part for me. I purchased this from a private seller and paid quite a bit more than the current ETA-clone group buy price. Granted, it shipped fast, I didn't have the customs risk and it did come with both the SS bracelet as well as one of the rep rubber diver's straps I've been wanting...

I don't blame the seller at all. He purchased it from Josh as a Swiss ETA, so I don't think he was trying to pull one over on me.

So what's the right thing to do now?

======================================

I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT MOST - SWISS AUTOMATIC MOVEMENTS - ARE EITHER WAY OLD STOCK - OLD VERSIONS - OR HYBRID MVMNTS.

FOR THE MOST PART.......ASIAN CLONES...THAT GET BETTER AND BETTER. PROPABLY MANUFACTURED ON THE OLD CNC MACHINES THAT ETA SOLD TO ASIA.

Rocketeer

Known Member
17/6/08
Yep, that's the ST24 from Seagull. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, it's a good movement and can give the 2824 a good run for its money, particularly if it gets a good clean and service.

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
23/10/06
Yup definately a clone. The difference might not stop there either, the case or crown of the UPO can vary also!

UPO from Precious Time with ETA movt had:
crown which sat closer to case and looked right
bracelet was finished better and end link stamps perfect
"Seamaster" case back design had shiny chequer finish
S5001885.jpg

DSC00176.jpg

S5001371.jpg

UPO "with Swiss ETA" from a dealer - which I've forgotten who....(it was one of the old cartel)...had:
crown which had a domed inner end which protruded from the case
that nickel movt - I never checked it back then as it was sourced for someone else (but I recently did a fix on it so thats how i know)
bracelet end link stamping was slanted!
case back design had matte chequer finish
S5002228.jpg

DSC00569.jpg

There was also a very slight difference in the date font. The clone was rounder
DSC00568.jpg

Maybe your "UPO" has some of these characteristics - I know that if I had been the owner of the UPO which contained the clone, I wouldn't be too happy
about paying full price...