• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

UPO dial question, Lume marker fell off!

minkoid123

Horology Curious
4/12/06
Hello,
I have an Ultimate Planet Ocean with the swiss eta movt, I was just out walking this lunch time and banged my PO against a wall. Only a slight scuff to the bezel, However the lume marker under the '6' has come away and is now floating around the dial!

Anyone have this happen before?? and/or does anyone know of a guide/Tutorial how you can get to the face to glue it back on?

Thanks in advance,

Minkoid.

kaneda2004

Known Member
13/8/06
There are some more specific guides - but here's the deal

I would hack the movement right now to stop the hands from bashing into the hour marker.
Remove the caseback
Remove the movement retaining screws + ring (after removing the crown by depressing the crown stem release and pulling)
Remove the movement and dial all in one motion, re-attach the hour marker
and replace everything in reverse order.

-kaneda

minkoid123 said:
Hello,
I have an Ultimate Planet Ocean with the swiss eta movt, I was just out walking this lunch time and banged my PO against a wall. Only a slight scuff to the bezel, However the lume marker under the '6' has come away and is now floating around the dial!

Anyone have this happen before?? and/or does anyone know of a guide/Tutorial how you can get to the face to glue it back on?

Thanks in advance,

Minkoid.

minkoid123

Horology Curious
4/12/06
kaneda,
Thanks a million, tried what you suggested and it worked a treat, just popped a little bit of superglue on the lume, very tricky to get into position though. A tip to anyone trying this don't use a white cloth to rest the parts on. Thanks again. My first warch repair!

Thanks,

Minkoid

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
minkoid123 said:
just popped a little bit of superglue on the lume
Oh, and whatever you do, don't use Superglue.

Damn, too late. :(

minkoid123

Horology Curious
4/12/06
Ok Pugwash, I just found your other post on super glue. I only used a minute amount(used the tip of a needle), All looks fine so far.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Cheers,

Minkoid

Hellcat

Renowned Member
18/11/06
Im guessing the superglue leaves a nasty residue? What type of glue is recomended?

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Hellcat said:
Im guessing the superglue leaves a nasty residue? What type of glue is recomended?
Residue? No, the fumes can fatally gum up the movement.

I find there's little point in recommending a specific glue as any brand name I would recommend is probably not available outside of the UK.

I use a French glue, but it's not perfect. It's good for metal to metal that you may want to remove later (bezels, dials, etc) but if I were to stick lume bacl on, I'd possibly use something more permanent like a two-part epoxy if I were mixing it up for something larger.

This is the French stuff I use:
po-bezel%20-%2010.jpg

196-repair%20-%2015.jpg

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
why not just use a small dab of good quality silicone glue or use epoxy? I'm not sure if epoxy has those glue-fumes though that gum up everything that's around it. Another bad point about super glue is that it dries real dull and if you accidentally get some on the dial it could possibly show up as white and definitely would ruin the finish on the dial, as super glue cleaner would probably strip the paint off the thing I'd imagine. I was hoping the markers on this watch would be held in like rep rolex markers, but I guess they aren't. I heard of another guy having to replace his 6 o clock on a 42mm PO. Haven't seen this problem with rolex submariners.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
amptor said:
I'm not sure if epoxy has those glue-fumes though that gum up everything that's around it.
Nope, that's just Superglue. :D

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
I find superglue too hard to work with anyway. You want fast drying, but not instant drying. Two part epoxy is my glue of choice.

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
Superglue might actually be ok to use in this instance... as long at the movement/dial is left out of the case for several hours to allow total drying and allowing the glue fumes to totally disperse....
Personally, I'd use something else... but as long as the glue was totally dry and the fumes had dispersed... no harm done.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
OiRogers said:
Superglue might actually be ok to use in this instance... as long at the movement/dial is left out of the case for several hours to allow total drying and allowing the glue fumes to totally disperse....
Personally, I'd use something else... but as long as the glue was totally dry and the fumes had dispersed... no harm done.

i agree, i had to do this same repair to my wifes 42.5mm po. the 7 O'Clock marker fell off. i used a very very small speck of super glue on the back of the lume installed it back on the marker and let it sit for about 1 hour. it had totally flashed before i put it back together. i did that repair 6 months ago and the watch is fine.

i can't believe he was told to remove the stem before letting the spring wind down. i am also surprised he didn't end up with a mess on his hands. if you let the movement completely unwind and stop you don't have to worry about it. it sounds like he got very lucky or the movement had stopped before he did the repair. it also sounds like he got lucky and didn't push the keyless works down too far. when i did it i searched and found a tutorial enzo had posted that told exactly how to pull the steam from a eta without harming it.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
hk45ca said:
when i did it i searched and found a tutorial enzo had posted that told exactly how to pull the steam from a eta without harming it.
Use a 1.2mm screwdriver and you'll never have a problem.

I never wind down ETA 2836/2824 movements when working on the dial. Just remove the rotor and put it in the movement holder and replace the stem. Hack it if you want to stop the second hand.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
pugwash said:
hk45ca said:
when i did it i searched and found a tutorial enzo had posted that told exactly how to pull the steam from a eta without harming it.
Use a 1.2mm screwdriver and you'll never have a problem.

I never wind down ETA 2836/2824 movements when working on the dial. Just remove the rotor and put it in the movement holder and replace the stem. Hack it if you want to stop the second hand.

yes, after reading rbj's and enzo's posts about this subject i could see exactly what they were talking about on the size of the screw driver and the way the keyless works operated so i defiantly made sure of how i removed the stem. i am not a watch maker so i just took their word for it about either winding down the spring or letting the movement stop on it's own. that isn't necessary just for stem removal? do you only need to do that if you are going to work on the movement its self? i didn't know so i wasn't going to take any chances and the way i read the instructions i thought it was necessary.

enzo describes the operation here,

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtop ... em+removal

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
southcoast68 said:
What about using GS Crystal Cement for these types of repairs??

Thats what I used on my 42mm PO and it's held up just fine for about 8 monthes so far.... but I made certain to leave the movement/dial out of the case for quite a while to allow it to totally dry... I don't want any glue fumes in my movement...

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
fuggin aye...

i used s-glue in my expI's 12 hr marker.

oh well... hopefully it was a small enough dab, aye?

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
crick said:
fuggin aye...

i used s-glue in my expI's 12 hr marker.

oh well... hopefully it was a small enough dab, aye?

As long as it was dry entirely before you reassembled, you'll be fine.... you just don't want that glues vapors gumming up your movments.