• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

UPO clasp "nipple" piece between the spring that clasps

bamrock

Horology Curious
2/10/08
OK I'm sorry for my lack of a better description but I had the misfortune of this "nipple" piece popping off and falling into the abyss. Soooo...now I'm faced with either sourcing a new clasp, or with trying to find the mysterious nipple piece that I'm not sure what the name is. I was thinking maybe ofrei but I don't even know the name. So I guess what I'm asking is:
1) What is this crazy nipple called?
2) Anyone know where I could buy one?
3) Anyone know the best place to buy a clasp if I need that whole piece?

I've already emailed Silix to find out if I could just buy a clasp. LMK if anyone thinks they have any advice.

Thanks in advance!
Bam

Vigil

8/11/08
Ouch, I had the same thing happen to me, however luckily I was sitting down at the time and the whole thing went in my sleeve. I reassembled it with a bit of epoxy to ensure that it wasn't happening again.

I can't be much help on a source, but I am searching myself for a spare - just in case!

smc

Known Member
24/9/08
Happened to me as well. As it was within a couple of days of receiving it, D4M swapped it out.

Great service!

bamrock

Horology Curious
2/10/08
LOL I figured it would be tough to get a new one. It's somewhere in the room, I saw it drop...but the carpet monster grabbed it and I haven't been able to find it yet and I'm doubting I will. If anyone locates a spare or knows the best place to just buy a new clasp let me know! I appreciate any help and Happy New Year to everyone.

smc

Known Member
24/9/08
You could try getting some super magnets from dealextreme, or maybe even vacume?

sixbennetts

Known Member
21/5/07
Yup, vacuum is the way to go, as stainless steel isn't magnetic.

Here's what I do.

1. Replace the bag in the vacuum. (Do this in front of your wife. She will be amazed at the fact that you are gonna vacuum without her b1tching at you).

2. Vacuum. (If she doesn't faint, this next part is GREAT!)

3. Remove the new bag with some dirt and your part in it, rip it open on the kitchen counter, get your part, and walk away.
(This last step is important to restore proper order in the household).

Now, glue it in place with some slow set epoxy, and also stake it. This is done on the side with a centerpunch and a hard surface. You only need a few small taps to squeeze it in place.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
sixbennetts said:
Yup, vacuum is the way to go, as stainless steel isn't magnetic.

Here's what I do.

1. Replace the bag in the vacuum. (Do this in front of your wife. She will be amazed at the fact that you are gonna vacuum without her b1tching at you).

2. Vacuum. (If she doesn't faint, this next part is GREAT!)

3. Remove the new bag with some dirt and your part in it, rip it open on the kitchen counter, get your part, and walk away.
(This last step is important to restore proper order in the household).

Now, glue it in place with some slow set epoxy, and also stake it. This is done on the side with a centerpunch and a hard surface. You only need a few small taps to squeeze it in place.
"Proper Order". LOL!!!!

bamrock

Horology Curious
2/10/08
Haha.....that's exactly the idea that I had with the vacuum. Everyone wish me luck with that! I also saw somewhere about someone using the head of a specific sized screw to do it so I need to do a little research and dig up that post as well. I really appreciate everyones responses though! That's why I love this forum.