• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

UPO - Chronograph or no?

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
The plain one would be your best bet...>>

based upon your post count, I'm assuming you're new to the forum and the "disease", and I don't recommend 7750 powered watches for the newer guys...

do not pay extra to get a "Swiss" movement....the Asian clone 2836 is the best option these days..In fact, if you're really on the fence about getting a PO, there are a lot of nice offerings with the Asian 21j movement in the $100. range that might satisfy your needs...I own a couple of those, and have found them to be just fine...
Eventually, if you decide to become a UPO nut, and spend a lot of $$'s on a franken creation, you can always sell your old one on the forum for a small loss...

'

'

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I'm a chrono guy, but the UPO,, you are better off without the chrono.
This is one heck of a nice watch. I recommend the black bezel with orange numbers though.
You may want to take it somewhere to remove the links because if I remember correctly, they are a B-Word to remove.

Greg

Ancaster

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
7/6/12
based upon your post count, I'm assuming you're new to the forum and the "disease", and I don't recommend 7750 powered watches for the newer guys...

do not pay extra to get a "Swiss" movement....the Asian clone 2836 is the best option these days..In fact, if you're really on the fence about getting a PO, there are a lot of nice offerings with the Asian 21j movement in the $100. range that might satisfy your needs...I own a couple of those, and have found them to be just fine...
Eventually, if you decide to become a UPO nut, and spend a lot of $$'s on a franken creation, you can always sell your old one on the forum for a small loss...

'

'
First post virgin here...

Hi. I'm new to the game and in the same dilemma, however I'm more concerned about what's inside than chrono vs no chrono. Just wondering why you say newbies shouldn't start with the 7750? I'm trying to read up on the 2836-2 and 7750 right now.

And how often and where do I take them for servicing? (The mall jeweller, a specialty watch repair person,...)
I'm reading some people don't service them at all to people doing them yearly.
Thanks

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
You need to understand that movements have different features or "complications" with the 7750 being one with many options. A movement is a bunch of gears, many of which can be moved to fit a different look, most common is where the running seconds will be locates, i.e. seconds at the 6, 9, 12 with the 6 or 9 being the most common and with seconds at the 12, you need a quality production in order to get reliability. With a 2824 or 2836 you have far less gears / complications, thus, less can go wrong. Take for example, do you (as a noob) know how to change the date wheel without messing up your gears in your 7750? Try changing it at say 02:00 and you may find a lot of resistance in the gears which can break gear teeth and bind your watch up. After more rep experience you would have realized that you should change your time to say... 06:00 and you would not encounter the binding issue. That is just one example (btw, I have a genuine breitling evo and I encounter resistance when changing the date on occasions so it is not limited to replica watches).

So why discourage a noob from buying a 7750, outside of causing you frustration and souring you to this hobby, noobs can cause a lot of problems for dealers by messing up their watch and then telling the dealer that it was a bad watch that was shipped. Noobs file paypal disputes and create payment problems for the rest of us. Do you see where I am going. Buy what you want,, but I am trying to answer the question of why some of our members will try to persuade a noob from buying a 7750 as their first replica.

You will most likekly not find a mall jewlery store that can service a 7750, we have trusted watchsmiths here that may service them, but your cost is going to be $150 to $225 at least, if you can find someone to service it. (my facts may be out dated a little, but the concept holds true).

Ancaster

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
7/6/12
Thank you. I gathered that might be the reason after doing some further reading last night. Although I am a meticulous technical person (I'm a project manager in my hospital IT dept) and I would care practice to make sure my rep lasts, I am going to start with a simpler 2836-2.

Besides searching and reading multiple posts, is there a single post or sticky that describes some of these intricacies about care practice?

TQDG

9/3/12
Thanks for the advice guys. Ended up getting the A2836, orange bezel. Not my first rep, I'm just not very familiar with the Omegas.

I've picked up a PAM, Ultimate SD, and a SMP Chrono (with the 7750) already. But I've had my eye on the PO for a while, and wanted to make a smart buy. I am aware of not using the quick date change too late in the day, in fact I usually just spin the minutes/hours ahead to change the date if I'm not sure.