• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

UPO bracelet sizing question

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
OK, so I just received my orange bezel 45mm UPO care of Daytona4me, and a thing of beauty it is too. I've also just read the thread on removing links on the stainless bracelet. Problem is, I don't have, nor do I particualrly want to buy, a link pin removing tool. Is there another way of doing so with the assortment of tools in my toolbox? Is it simply a matter of pressing the pin out on both ends of the link, taking out the link, and then joining the two ends? This is going to sound brutal, but why not tap it out with a hammer and a piece of high tensile steel the diameter of the pin?

Mike29983

8/7/07
before i had my removement tool i used a thin screwdriver and a rubber mallet to push them out.
worked always fine. just be gentle and have patience and you`ll get it right.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
nielsen said:
OK, so I just received my orange bezel 45mm UPO care of Daytona4me, and a thing of beauty it is too. I've also just read the thread on removing links on the stainless bracelet. Problem is, I don't have, nor do I particualrly want to buy, a link pin removing tool. Is there another way of doing so with the assortment of tools in my toolbox? Is it simply a matter of pressing the pin out on both ends of the link, taking out the link, and then joining the two ends? This is going to sound brutal, but why not tap it out with a hammer and a piece of high tensile steel the diameter of the pin?

Yeah, you don't need a special tool... Just make sure that when you push the pins out the watch is held carefully in position... and push them out with care. By the way, the pins in most of these Omega bracelets tend to be particularly tight, so be aware.

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
Thanks for the advice. I'll try it. Before I do..... There are arrows on the inside of the bracelet. Can I assume I push the pins from the side the arrow points to and out the other way?

2poor4real1z

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
25/7/08
I have started going to Target. The people in their "jewelry" department are really lazy so when I ask to use their link pen removal tool my self, they are let me. They are just happy they don't have to do anything.

stratman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/3/09
Are the arrows pointing in the direction the pin is supposed to exit the bracelet from?

Y8T8

Known Member
20/11/08
Yes that is the correct method for removing the pins.

However it would be wise to replace the pins in the reverse direction as sometimes the link hole at the tailend (arrow) is slightly smaller than the arrowhead part of the link.

This causes problems in insertion of the pins if you try and insert it in the direction of the arrow.

My experience anyway, YMMV :)

kimber45acp

16/3/09
I have sized bracelets before by using a pin from another bracelet I had sized. Just stand the pin on a hard flat surface and use it like a punch. Some watches have tight pins and some come out very easily. Also make sure you follow the direction of the arrow. When you put it back in, just press the pin on the flat surface again to push the pin all the way in. You could use the spare pin to push it in further if you'd like.