• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

UPO (45.5) Gen insert to Rep Bezel Mod.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
The Dilemma:

I ordered this UPO last year. Supposed to be UPO. ETA clone though. This model will not accept the gen bezel so...

Ok, first off, the gen bezel will not fit the rep case out of the package. The gen bezel has a 37.4MM inside diameter where it holds the retaining wire. The Rep bezel measures 34.95MM inside diameter. I have seen folks marry the two by machining them to laser weld back together but I think that method is too invasive and expensive unless you have the means to do it yourself.

2nd, the Gen insert has ridge and snaps in to the gen bezel, the rep insert is taped. You need to file down that ridge to fit into the rep bezel. I mean, you need to sand paper thin. The easiest approach to circumvent this is to use the rep bezel and the gen pearl. Most of the time this is the best option.

The Details to fix the dilemma:

What I decided to try was to sand the gen bezel and mill down the rep bezel so it sits flush or just below the outside edge of the rep bezel.

Here is a pic of the gen bezel on the top and the rep bezel on the bottom showing the size differnce.
IMG_20120427_133129.jpg

Here is a pic of the gen bezel on the rep case. You would need a really wide retainer to fit the gen bezel to the rep case. Good thought, but the teeth on the underside will not engage the click spring. It just doesn't fit the case.
IMG_20120427_133142.jpg

Here is where I wish I took more/better pictures of this process as to better show you what is involved for this mod. As thin as you can file/sand the gen insert, it still wont fit the rep bezel because the pocket for the insert is at an angle or domed to fit the the rep style domed insert.

Underside of the rep bezel.
IMGP0231.jpg

Underside of gen bezel filed/sanded
IMGP0232.jpg

Even with the sanding as I stated before, it's needs more clearance to bring the bezel insert down to just below the outer edge, as per gen. Any more sanding and you might hoark the insert or flat out make it too thin, thus too fragile to wear.

The milling/lathing.

I thought about the lathe first but I didn't have any ideas on how to hold it initially. So I proceeded with the mill instead. I hot glued the bezel centered on the turntable and took out some unneeded steel.

IMG_20120522_184225.jpg

Pic after milling. I didn't really care too much about the looks, I just wanted to remove some steel. Done.
IMG_20120522_184750.jpg

After that, I figured I wanted just a touch more off but this time, I figured out a way to hold it in my lathe. Chucked it up and turned the bastard. It really cleaned it up.

IMGP0227.jpg

The end result... I think pretty darn good. The insert actually snaps in but not enough to be held by itself. I will use epoxy to hold it in.

IMGP0230.jpg

The end of this chapter but not the end of the book yet. ;)

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Awesome post once more...!

I have one question though. We have seen in some cases that gen bezel was fitted. Was it???? Cause from what i can understand this is really tough, not to say impossible...

Thumbs up for the master!!!!!!!!

Inushuk

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/10/10
It is indeed as per what Uwe told me It tool him some time to do it ...
Unfortunatelly he is not any more in the business but I think he was one of the onlyone to be able to do it .... Don't aske me how ... but my Bezel on my Franken Upo is the gen one.... :) and I have the rep one with me as Uwe resent me all rep parts ... (hands , crown , tube , valve , saphir , datewheel etc..... )

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
Mr. Pap said:
Awesome post once more...!

I have one question though. We have seen in some cases that gen bezel was fitted. Was it???? Cause from what i can understand this is really tough, not to say impossible...

Thumbs up for the master!!!!!!!!

I think we going soon resolve the gen bezel issue. Cus so far currently have solve the bezel by putting gen insert, pearl mod and an aftermarket insert! I hope one day the gen bezel can be imported to the rep!

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
Great work!

My Franken has also the whole gen bezel as in Inushuks, I am 100 % sure. Uwe did it and he said he makes a distance ring to fit the gen bezel. I had one picture of it but it is lost.

I don't think he did anything else like welding because that mod was really inexpensive. I am very happy I got it done :)

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Maybe this is an older model.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I edited my post to reflect this is an older version or not the same as the current UPO or UPO that will accept the gen bezel, this one didn't. ;) Believe me.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
You can believe R2 on this one folks, even if he's too humble to claim the title, he is the one and only Franken PO Guru.

Oh, and thanks Rob for sharing, I love your milling adventures! :D

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Great work and great pics. A milling machine is a very handy tool.

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
Awesome work. I have considered a similar solution, using a lathe to remove material inside the bezel. Like yourself I was concerned about how to hold it in the jaws of the chuck.

I'm suitably inspired to have a go at this myself now...!!

-OW

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
You can believe R2 on this one folks, even if he's too humble to claim the title, he is the one and only Franken PO Guru.

Oh, and thanks Rob for sharing, I love your milling adventures! :D

Thanks Wiz, coming from you that is an honor I can assure you. :)

Great work and great pics. A milling machine is a very handy tool.

Indeed my friend. ;) I am very fortunate.

Nice solution to the problem! Your reputation is well deserved.

Well, thanks for that. I don't always have the right answers nor the best solution. I just read and think a lot. Maybe too much. lol

Awesome work. I have considered a similar solution, using a lathe to remove material inside the bezel. Like yourself I was concerned about how to hold it in the jaws of the chuck.

I'm suitably inspired to have a go at this myself now...!!

-OW

Do it! ;)

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
R2, You blow me away with your skill, wit and generosity......

Well done sir.

katt

Trusted (Watch Repair)
Trusted Dealer
Vendor (Watch Repair)
14/9/09
Fantastic work there R2 ! A pleasure to work on your franken projects .

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Fantastic work there R2 ! A pleasure to work on your franken projects .

For those in the know, looking in on this, Katt did a dial placement, stem install and gen hand broach on this watch. I will post pics in another thread. Katt is amazing! Thanks G. :)

rileywiley

Known Member
9/5/12
Out of curiosity, my understanding is that this would be easier on the 42mm right? It is just a straight swap?