• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Up and Coming Omega SMP non Chrono Project

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I decided to give this project one more go... I would say after several attempts, the results have been unsatisfactory. I ended up buying the gen article.

This time round, I manage to secure a case from the closed down factory (thanks to triplehd, to part with such precious parts). However, it is still incomplete.

This what I have at the moment:
1. Case + caseback without bezel. Correct He valve placement and seems to have correct dimension too.
2. Crystal. No glass bottle effect!
3. No crown.
4. Movement retainer ring without dust cover.
5. Genuine Omega SMP full size white gold bezel.
6. Genuine Omega SMP 007 Bond dial, need some restoration on the lume.

This is what I am going to do:
1. Order genuine crown and tube.
2. Order genuine hand sets.
3. Attach the bezel to the case (this has a few challenges).
4. Try to find the dust cover (I am sure I have this but not with me at the moment).
5. Buy an ETA2824 stem as well as caseback gasket.

Since this will be a fantasy model (no 007 comes with white gold bezel... at the moment), I have decided to get a sword hand (like on those America's Cup version) instead of a normal SMP hand (with hole in the middle and minimal lume).

Current problem is with attaching genuine bezel to this case. It seems that the dimension is very good/precise but the construction is slightly different. The bezel spring is held by a nylon gasket on this replica! This nylon gasket needs to be glued to the case in order to secure it. Another problem is the crystal is not properly pressed. I will fix all this after I got the complete parts (i.e.: gen crown and crown tube). Stay tune!

Kahn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/5/08
Cant wait for pics.....sound really nice!

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Taka,

This is great you are going to do anoda, brodha. So your case doesnt have the hole drilled to accept the genuine click spring?

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Drill?? No need. Sadly I have no pictures of the assembly but I can confirm that what you need is only epoxy to glue the nylon retainer ring to the case.

Here is what I have so far. I am waiting for the gen parts and this will be up and running. By the way, I use my genuine Omega SMP to get the rubber strap on deployant (in Titanium tho)... I will call this watch Omega Seamaster Pro 007 Replica GST (Gold, Steel, Titanium <-- like on IWC GST) Limited edition 1/1 only :lol: I will get the caseback side engraved like limited edition model.

This will be one of a kind definitely.

P9050007.jpg

P9050010.jpg

P9050010.jpg

P9050027.jpg

P9050029.jpg

P9050032.jpg

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
See what I was talking about is the gen spring which should have a pilot hole. Then attatch the spring and put on the bezel with a metal retaining wire. Make sure the wire is not too thick or you will never get it off again. Now if the nylon retainer/washer is what you are refering to retain it, I would love to see it.

IMGP3639.jpg

Click Spring in place

IMGP3640.jpg

Bezel on, Project under way :D

IMGP3641.jpg

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
R2, please see second picture and first picture. The nylon retainer ring is there. I just have not put the click spring. The last 3 pictures show the final result (with click spring and complete bezel installed). No need to drill... only to glue the retainer ring to the case.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Taka, the nylon ring is the retaining ring right? The gen has a wire. The gen bezel click spring can be glued but a simple little hole drilled at 12 would be much better IMO.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
@R2: the case already has hole at 12 o clock position for the click spring on the ring ;) If the ring is not properly in place, the bezel will turn without clicks ;)

Inside the gen bezel, there is already a metal wire (shaped with edges).

Sorry for my bad pictures. The hole at 12 can;t be seen from there.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
takashi said:
@R2: the case already has hole at 12 o clock position for the click spring on the ring ;) If the ring is not properly in place, the bezel will turn without clicks ;)

Inside the gen bezel, there is already a metal wire (shaped with edges).

Sorry for my bad pictures. The hole at 12 can;t be seen from there.

Taka, I would never question your expertise on the modding but the lack of hole in the picture and your description(s) were confusing me. I can't wait for a step by step on this. :D You are saying the height of the groove for the retainer ring is too high. This causes the teeth to be too high above the teeth to give the ratcheting effect. So a possible solution is to distort the retainer wire with severe angles or to epoxy a shim below the lip to bring the bezel closer to the click spring.

Now I get it. My CFSMP did not have this problem. I did have to shave the inside of the bezel click spring to fit around the case base.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Just worth noting... the clicks do feel different from genuine SMP bezel... I can't describe it properly but it's much softer with this rep case with 120 clicks.

I don't dare to pry open my gen SMP bezel :lol: Someone suggested using toothpick but isn't the bezel too tight? I have ruined a rep SMP chrono case before just to get the bezel removed.

So... This is the catch. If the retainer ring is not glued, the bezel spring (looks like a metal wire with many edges on the bezel) will push it down. So that as if there is nothing holding the bezel. However, by gluing this nylon retainer ring, the bezel will just snap in nicely.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
A real Omega Modder would have one of these so bezels aren't a problem. :D :D

IMGP3642.jpg

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Parts arrived. Now lacking of ETA2824 stem. Gen crown tube fits PERFECTLY. Which i believe this case is really made with very good tolerance. I have dealt with so many Omega reps (Seamaster and PO), never before I can install genuine rep tube with this kind of tight tolerance.

After that... Will be done :)