• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Two fun shots of Planet Ocean

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Two PO fun shots... some minor Photoshopping involved. Like them?

surface.jpg

flashlight.jpg

Syd

Renowned Member
3/7/06
What an awesome watch By-Tor! I am actually torn in two between when to wear my PO and my TT Blue Sub. It is heart wrenching! [smilie=laughing8.gif]

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Syd said:
What an awesome watch By-Tor! I am actually torn in two between when to wear my PO and my TT Blue Sub. It is heart wrenching! [smilie=laughing8.gif]

We know the watch is awesome. But did you like the pics? :D

Syd

Renowned Member
3/7/06
By-Tor said:
Syd said:

Very photogenic!

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Syd said:
By-Tor said:
Syd said:

Very photogenic!

Thanks. Just teasin' ya... ;)

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
By-Tor said:
Not bad. The top one needs more light on the front as on a calibrated LCD I can see where you painted the black areas. I'll show you a trick on how do do dials in photoshop if you're interested. :D

The bottom has your lucky torchlight filter you know I feel about. :shock:

They're good pics, though. Nothing wrong with the photos. I'm just extra picky with you because I know you take good pics. :lol:

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Pugwash said:
By-Tor said:
Not bad. The top one needs more light on the front as on a calibrated LCD I can see where you painted the black areas. I'll show you a trick on how do do dials in photoshop if you're interested. :D

Hmm... I like the black dial. Guess I still have a lot to learn from PS... since I have only 10 years of professional PhotoShop experience. But since you invented the watch photography as we know it... ah show me ye Nostradamus!!! :D

geopatr69

Renowned Member
28/3/06
:D :D Great photos of a super watch. I am wearing mine right now :) :wink: I think you and I have the same taste in watches :wink: :wink: PO,Link 8) :wink:
MVC-784F.JPG

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
By-Tor said:
But since you invented the watch photography as we know it...
That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me in weeks! :oops: :oops:

geopatr69

Renowned Member
28/3/06
Hmm... I like the black dial. Guess I still have a lot to learn from PS... since I have only 10 years of professional PhotoShop experience. But since you invented the watch photography as we know it... ah show me ye Nostradamus!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Here's a version with bit lighter dial markers. Takes 10 seconds to do. Personally, I like the darker version...I've always liked dark pics... but that's just me.

lighter.jpg

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
By-Tor said:
Here's a version with bit lighter dial markers. Takes 10 seconds to do. Personally, I like the darker version...I've always liked dark pics... but that's just me.
The how to do dials is on its way. gimme 5 mins to write the text ...

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
geopatr69 said:
The how to do dials is on its way. gimme 5 mins to write the text ...
8) 8) Can I get a copy too please :wink: :wink: :lol:

Where do you need it? That wristshot is as good as it gets.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Interesting approach. But I use completely different method... and I'm not even looking for such effect. I often clean up the black dial from all noise. Takes 20-30 seconds... and apparently I happen to like different kind of appearance.

If you look at the end result you just demonstrated... the pics are very small and it's impossible to say... but it looks like you have some oversaturated areas and reflections on the bezel and over the IWC marker. You can get rid of the red oversaturated spots (which came from your hand?) away by using Adjust -> Hue/Saturation -> Edit -> Red... and move the bar all the way to the left. Or perhaps you like the reflections... and who am I to tell you what's wrong with your pics? But they're not my cup of tea. It's like a painting... people see them differently. Personally, I don't see anything really spectacular in that particular shot. It's a good shot tho'.

See? I've tried to say to you many times... it's in the eye of the beholder. This just doesn't get through you... now does it? You like different kind of effect and different kind of pictures. I love you man... and you do great work... but sometimes you're "over enthusiastic". Yeah, maybe that's a good word. I'm not much of a photographer with my $150 camera (never claimed to be) and I don't even have a proper photo setup. I just go outside and shoot (and fix the possible problems with PS). Sometimes the pics come out well, sometimes not. If people like them... nice. If not, so what? If I post a pic here I'm already satisfied with it. I've done lots of complicated things to commercial magazine photos... repainted large missing areas, removed items, remove people from the shots, etc. I don't claim to be the Master of Photoshop (far from it)... but editing a watch dial is very, very basic stuff. And there are many other ways to achieve similar effect. I asked if you liked the pics or not... not a Photoshop lesson for dummies. :D Maybe I shouldn't have asked...but it was a rhetoric question anyway.

You don't like the "torchlight" option? Well gee whiz... I happen to like the effect. I don't like all your shots, either... and I see lots of things I'd do differently but I don't immediately jump on them and start offering you "newbie lessons"... and acting like a fucking Nostradamus.

Like I said I love you man, you're a great, valuable member and a fellow watch nut... but stop acting like your shit smells roses. There are lots of members who take much better pics than either of us. Just look at Bazz's photos. I'm 100% sure neither of us could take such pictures (yet). But we're learning and having fun (that's why they were called "Two FUN shots"... it's not a competition for chrissakes!!!

PS: Please don't take this wrong way. I'm not pissed of at all. I consider you a friend too... that's why I'm being so straight with you. ;)

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
geopatr69 said:
Where do you need it? That wristshot is as good as it gets.

You're welcome. PO Orange is such a nice watch. It's not even nearly as "garish" as the photos often suggest. Very classy. That raven black dial goes well with the orange... love it.

Have you seen this classic Orange Doxa? It's been on production for quite a while. Ugly as hell but handsome, don't you think? This skinny fellow doesn't seem to have the wrist to carry a man's watch though. :D

600wrist2.jpg

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
By-Tor said:
I love you man... and you do great work... but sometimes you're "over enthusiastic".
Guilty as charged. :D

Still, some people will find the post useful, I'm sure.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Pugwash said:
By-Tor said:
I love you man... and you do great work... but sometimes you're "over enthusiastic".
Guilty as charged. :D

Still, some people will find the post useful, I'm sure.

I'm sure too. As I said you do fantastic work.

PS: I've tried all kinds of different lighting methods and the daylight/sun works always best for me. I'll post a pic of my "lightbox" tomorrow. I'm sure you'll get a few laughs of it. But it works. ;)