• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tube threaded on the outside on my 42mm

Lovecraft

Horology Curious
17/2/12
My first post here...

I'm about to change the crown and tube on my 42mm 5th gen PO. I noticed that my tube is threaded on the outside, while all the pictures I've found of the tube switch process looks to be threaded on the inside (like the gen tube I got from cousins). My tube looks like it might be thicker and it's threaded on the outside - does it make a difference? Will it be harder to remove or will it leave a larger hole in the case? Is it a 42mm thing? I'd like to hear from the pro's before I cut into the patient :unsure:

threaded.jpg

A (very poor) picture of my tube. You can clearly see the threads on the outside.

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
I've had two 5th gen 42mm PO's and neither of mine had that style of tube with outside threads. The threads for the crown/tube are internal.
As for yours being more difficult to remove...I wouldn't think so. Are the case threads for the tube going to be larger yet, it's hard to say.

Lovecraft

Horology Curious
17/2/12
Small update... I opened it up today and it seems it's threaded on the inside as well. Don't think the other pictures I've seen of POs have been. Maybe it means I can unscrew it... And maybe it means it's stuck like a &¤#!*

thread2.jpg

Lovecraft

Horology Curious
17/2/12
Used a file to make a notch in the outer part of the case tube. I then unscrewed it with a screwdriver - it loosened easily. The inner part of the tube is slightly larger than the gen, and the threads are different so I will still have to epoxy it. The extra threads should give it decent retention.

screw.jpg

luckie

19/12/11
What epoxy will you be using? Which is the best epoxy to use?

Lovecraft

Horology Curious
17/2/12
I'm thinking JB Weld Marine. But I'm sure a lot of different metal epoxys would work. Pretty sure there's a good Loctite for it as well.