• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TTF 1122 Review - a lot of light, but also a lot of shadow (pic heavy)

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe

After a long dry spell, new rep models are finally coming onto the market again. That is good. Whether these new reps can meet the quality standards of the good old reps, however, is another matter. I was curious when TTF announced a rep of the Panerai 1122. Up to now, TTF has mainly attracted attention with their reps of new, but in terms of style, rather traditional 44mm Luminor models. The quality was usually so la la. And now the 1122? That was an announcement! The 1122 (together with the 1351, which was released at the same time) is the first TTF model with a titanium case. What makes the 1122 even more difficult is that the Gen is one of the few models for which Panerai uses a special 3D sintering process called DMLS, which not only makes the titanium lighter, but also gives it a very special surface structure. In addition, the 1122 has an accentuated convex dome xtal and its dial has a dégradé effect that shades light to dark from the centre. Or to put it briefly: The hurdles were extremely high. The result, however, is gratifying. TTF has delivered a good watch, but one that has clear flaws and annoying quality problems.

The Gen

The 1122 was launched by Panerai last year in an edition of only 70 pieces at the ambitious price of 19,000 euros. It is the third model in the Guillaume Néry series, named after the world free-diving champion. The small edition has the advantage that those of you who do not want to be "unmasked" as rep wearers are on the safe side. The probability of encountering a Gen carrier in the wild should be slightly above zero. However, this is suboptimal for a review, as you can't even find decent photos on the net for a good comparison. However, there is a small video review that is helpful .

Case

On the positive side: TTF has indeed built its first titanium case and the case is also very well done. Experts will perhaps recognise slight deviations in the curves - unfortunately, I don't have an eye for such things. The shape of the case looks very good to me. The watch weighs just 94 grams. Unfortunately my caliper is broken, so I can´t give you the exact measures. But the TTF should have nearly the same thickness as the Gen (16,4mm). I have no idea how heavy the Gen is and whether the 40% weight reduction through the DMLS process might make a difference of one or two grams here. But that is obviously negligible anyway.

What TTF did not manage to do well, however, is to imitate the surface texture and colour. That is also my biggest criticism of this model. The entire case is too bright and lacks the "glimmer" typical of DMLS. While the look of the Gen depends strongly on the incidence of light and is somewhat reminiscent of "silver ore" in strong direct light, the surface of the TTF looks more like plastic with a glossy finish when viewed superficially. I am not an expert in the surface treatment of metals. But to me, the surface doesn't even look sandblasted. I rather suspect that a lacquer has been applied here. Unfortunately, TTF was not very thorough. Unfortunately, there are gaps in the surface treatment on the edges of the lug horns and on the inner edge of the crown guard.

This is very annoying and I don't know if this is only the case with my copy or with the whole series.

Update: Since this has left me no peace, I have dismantled the CG and properly cleaned. it It actually looks like the "discoloration" is due to contamination.

It is interesting that the titanium under the CG is not treated. So I think we can assume that the surface treatment is chemical and only occurs when the attachments are mounted.

Fortunately, you can only see these flaws when you look at the watch up close in bright light. In general, the differences in the surface treatment become relative when you have the watch on your arm. From a metre away, the difference to the Gen can only be guessed at ... and who knows exactly what the Gen looks like.

To TTF's credit, it has to be said that even the highly praised factory VSF has not copied the DMLS process any better. The VSF 1117 (the 1117 Gen also has a DMLS case) does not look any better to me.
If you have the talent or the connections, you can try modding the case. I'm curious to see if there is a lacquer or surface treatment that can get the look of the Gen better.

Caseback

The caseback is quite successful. Like the Gen, it is also made of titanium with a black DLC coating. The engravings are correct. Overall, the quality of the embossing is a little poorer than on the Gen. But these are minor details. The thread also grips precisely.

Crown and Crownguard

The crown looks good and is actually coated - although not with rubber like on the Gen, but at least with a plastic that feels similar. The same applies to the bezel, by the way.

The titanium crownguard is not perfect, however. First of all, it is a little too big and the inlay of the Lever (also made of plastic with a "rubber feel") has a slit that is not found on the Gen. It looks - as with other details - as if TTF understandably did not have a Gen as a model and made the rep on the basis of Panerai's PR photos.

XTal

My verdict on the Xtal is very positive. The TTF has a beautiful dome, which for me is very close to the refraction of the Gen. The XTal is one of the highlights of this watch.

Dial

There are also only a few compromises in the dial. The dégradé effect is very well done in combination with the domed xtal. The colours look very precise to me. The cut-outs for the numbers and indices are not so perfect. As is unfortunately usual with TTF and HWF, they are a little too thick. However, the print is good and the fonts are correct - even on the date wheel. The hands are good.

However, the sandwhich is slightly off. Panerai uses a white Luminova for the Gen. The luminous coating from TTF has a slight yellow tint. In reality, however, this is hardly noticeable, as the Luminova is rarely "uncharged" and has a slight yellow-green touch anyway due to the luminescent effect.

Due tue 10k character limit continued in first post ...

Last edited:

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
Lume

Unfortunately, TTF made a big mistake with the lume. While the numbers and indices shine in beautiful green luminova, the hands are also green. On the Gen, however, they are blue. This shows once again that TTF has no Gen to present. On the Panerai website, the hands are shown in green.

Movement

There is not much to say about the movement. Panerai's P.9010 works in the Gen and an A7750 works in the Rep. This means that the Gen functions are not given. The Gen has a "quick hour", the Rep has a normal quick date adjustment. However, I feel that this is an advantage. Another advantage is that the A7750 is very reliable and there are always spare parts. Although the watch has a closed caseback, the movement is decorated.

Strap

TTF delivers the 1122 with a black nylon strap with white stitches and a black rubber strap. The Gen comes with a black PET strap (recycled) and a white rubber strap with luminous "Officine Panerai" inscription. Funnily enough, I still had this exact strap in my box from some old M2M trade. In my opinion, this strap also fits the watch perfectly. It's a pity that TTF doesn't have it in its range.

Unfortunately, TTF has a massive(!) quality problem with the strap change system. For the two titanium models 1122 and 1351, TTF unfortunately supplies lug screws that are apparently(?) also made of titanium - at least they are very light. However, these screws are of terrible quality. I have the 1122 and the 1351 and with both the upper screw is far too light in the housing (the thread does not grip properly) so that it loosens itself. The lower screw on both watches is much too tight and can only be screwed in with force. In the case of the 1351, the thread of the screw broke off for me (and for my friend @Kleineronkl ).

The head of the screw is as soft as butter and can be damaged with moderate force. Even worse is that the thread is so badly made that the screw breaks off with a little more force - since the screw head gets stuck during this manoeuvre, a watchmaker has to drill the remains out of the lug-horn. This is a clear no-go!
All buyers and interested parties are advised to replace the screw immediately. Since I, at least, do not trust the thread either, a special Panerai spring bar would be the best solution here. Such springbars are available for 9 euros from all the usual spare parts dealers.

Conclusion

The 1122 certainly polarises - both as a gen and as a rep. You have to like the model to like it ;-)

And I love it! TTF has taken on an (over)big task and delivered. Of course - the TTF 1122 is far from being a first class or even super rep. But hey? Not everyone wants a super model. I love my wife with all her flaws and so I love the TTF 1122 with all its flaws.

I love the combination of the modern titanium case, the "rubberised" bezel, the lively dial and the domed xtal - there's always something going on with this watch, it's never static. And especially with the white rubber strap, it's a wonderful combination with dark clothes, jeans and white sneakers - a watch for a casual evening in the city.

If it weren't for the quality problems, I would recommend the TTF 1122 without any ifs and buts. So everyone has to decide for themselves whether they want to embark on this experiment.

TTF has arrived. With the 1122, they have seriously torpedoed themselves into the circle of good factories. If they can now get a grip on the quality problems, we can surely expect many more good reps from this factory and maybe one day it will really be enough for a super rep.

Last edited:

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Thanks for contributing rhis review and taki g your time to show this watch. Great dial, but i guess I will have to pass this time - One panerai in my collection is enough;)
Got to go for some more subs:)

• Love
Reactions: JayBee0815

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Very good review mate (much better than the watch itself lol) !

I'm not a fan of those newer fancy gen Pam releases anyway, and this TTF rep is not gonna make me like them. A candy style watch to me, that does'nt wear as a "serious" Pam.

Last edited:

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
Very good review mate (much better than the watch itself lol) !

I'm not a fan of those newer fancy Pam releases anyway, and this TTF rep is not gonna make me like them. A candy style watch to me, that does'nt wear as a "serious" Pam.
Yep, it polarizes. I see it more in a 'class' with watches like the AP Offshore or Hublot BB than with the classic Pams.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Very well written review and comparison.
I like the watch and in general I am a fan of both mixed composite materials and the new faded dials.

This is a watch worth owning imho though maybe I slightly prefer the overall look of its similar brother 1662.

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
I have updated the review. The "discoloration" on some parts of the CG seems to be a simple contamination. After cleaning the parts with water the colour and finish is okay. So this is no "big" quality issue but only a small quality issue ;-)

Reactions: mrsullivan

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Many thanks for your kind effort making this nice review, with useful comments and beautiful pics.

Very good job on the CG

Congrats
ALE