• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tried my hand at a little modification....

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
So, I had this SMP Chrono that I got here-

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/omega-smp-chrono-81435

I had pulled the scratched insert and replaced it with one from WO, modified it to take the original pearl from the rep insert, and lightened it up a bit with some Flitz and cotton swabs

Then, a while back I purchased gen hour/minute/second hands (from ofrei) but never got around to doing anything with them.

When I thought I wasn't going to have time to play with it, I put it up for sale. Needless to say I was bombarded with many requests to sell the hands only, as well as the usual assortment of WTF(?) questions from everyone under the sun. So I decided to keep it.

After a little while longer I thought, "I wonder what a gen dial would run me?", and set about on the 'bay to see what I could find. In the end I bought an older style dial with the applied markers (it was cheap) and then put the parts in a box until I got the courage up to try my hand at putting the pieces together.

Along comes a quiet day off here at home (today), and I thought "why not?". So I pulled the parts out, set up my desktop and went to work.

What I ended up with ain't by any means perfect, but considering I don't have the hands to be a surgeon I am content with what I put together. I have to say though, that once I finished I realized that I will need to get a new insert (again) and carefully work in from scratch in order to resolve the high point on the north end of the bezel/insert since it is noticeably high and bulges a bit due to the pearl not being shaved down a bit.

Using the used old style dial, and then adding a new hour and minute hand, I wrapped up the project (for now). I did not use the gen second hand because I do not have the means to broach it and open it up a bit to fit the pin. I reused the rep second hand as well as the subdial hands. The subdial hand at 12 o'clock is slightly off, but I felt lucky to get it back on without hosing up anything......

dsc00352ma.jpg

dsc00350pf.jpg

dsc00344rx.jpg

Oh, and the lume is so far outawhack it is comical. Now I am trying to figure out if I should just darken the hands a bit, or do something with the dots on the dial.

I think that I will stick with taking care of the insert for now and leave it be until I get a harebrained idea on what to "fix" next....

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
As the only modding I've attempted is to change a strap, I say job well done. :thumbsup:

Thank you sir!

I had my reservations after trying to fix something on my 3717 and hosing up the movement (waiting for an email from SubDude right now to see if I can send it to him for repair), but I figured I would give it a shot.

Now I am just trying to figure out how to address the lume issue. I can no longer find the luminous dots on ofrei's page so I have to figure something else out.....

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Not bad at all! It turned out to look pretty nice!!!

rol_man

Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Not bad at all and if you're OK with the lume, I'd leave it. A lot of gen owners will keep the original dials and have new hands installed because of wear or other. So... even a serviced gen may have this look. Have seen it on Rollies quite a bit. Welcome to the world of modding!

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
So I finally went after the bezel insert/pearl issue this morning. While the insert is darker than what I had I think I can get accustomed to it (or will polish it later). It took some serious pearl shaving/insert modification to get it to lay flat in the channel on the bezel (I actually ruined two WO inserts getting it right), and it ended up just a tad bit off center (L to R) but I think I can live with it.

dsc00365ds.jpg

dsc00366ly.jpg

dsc00368lm.jpg

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
OK, so I am embarrassed to admit that there was one thing I haven't looked at on this case.....

So a few months back I sent my gen SMP in for service. When it came back there was a small bag of parts that were returned with it. In the bag of parts was this in pieces (and since re-assembled by me)-

dsc00393ts.jpg

dsc00394n.jpg

dsc00396ak.jpg

What I am curious to know (and don't want to crack my case and take out my movement to find out), is if it is possible to install a gen He escape valve from a standard SMP on my rep SMP Chrono, and if the case is actually milled out for a valve, or just a post that has a faux valve screwed on to it.

Anyone by chance know?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I will know for sure in a few days. I will do the exact same thing, so i will let you know...

I am planning to use the gen tube also, so i will tell you all the details.

I am only sure that the smp and the chrono use the same valve (on the gen).

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
I will know for sure in a few days. I will do the exact same thing, so i will let you know...

I am planning to use the gen tube also, so i will tell you all the details.

I am only sure that the smp and the chrono use the same valve (on the gen).

I'll be looking forward to reading about how it works out.

Sent from the W.C.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
And now it is done......

Added today-
Gen He valve
Gen (used) insert
Rep crystal- 42mm PO (gasp!)

He valve was an adventure. Original was pressed in and the barrel/sleeve was smaller than the gen, so I had to do a bit of drilling and then used JB weld to put it in place (and I sealed it from the inside because I just don't want to take a chance).

Insert was really easy, it was one that I had just received from sunnydale and would drop right in.

OK, it wasn't that easy because.....

I wanted a AR'd crystal for this, so I picked up a AR'd 42mm PO crystal from pippo. The crystal is slightly larger than your standard SMP one which made it necessary for me to glue it in place (GS Hypo). I then had to lightly sand the inner portion of the insert for it to fit over/around the crystal.

So my completed project started as your standard blue SMP Chrono but ended with-

Used gen dial from fleabay
Gen hour and minute hands from ofrei
Gen He valve from my gen SMP (was replaced at service about 8mo ago)
Used gen insert
Used rep 42mm PO crystal

Now I have what looks like a nicely aged and worn watch.

dsc00547i.jpg

dsc00553m.jpg

dsc00549sf.jpg

dsc00548f.jpg

dsc00551bt.jpg

dsc00552yj.jpg

dsc00550k.jpg

sunnydale

29/8/09
Looks good! But is that pearl out of its place a bit because it looks too recessed? If I would have known that you are searching for a good crystal, I would have told you that I am getting one back in a couple of weeks or so double side AR coated with my latest colorless AR!

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
It appears that the pearl may have been pushed down just a bit while I was getting the insert in place. But in all honesty it is in "character" with the rest of the mods. As far as the crystal goes.... I have had it for a little bit, and don't really mind the bluish tint. Even with the tint it is much easier to see/read the dial now (since the original had absolutely no AR).

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Yes, it's the rep DW. I didn't want to monkey around with the movement beyond swapping out the dial and hands.

Sent from somewhere other than in front of my computer...

sgtguk

Known Member
8/7/12
Looks really good, love the way its come on since you started out! Nice mods!

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
very well made!
nice one wear it in good health!=)
Can you take daylight photos of this baby?