• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Total Noob question... second hands

ckelly333

Horology Curious
25/7/15
Hey

Bare with me on this one, im completely new to the rep seen and if anyone could direct me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

This may seem like a stupid question, i brought my first rep watch (http://www.tswatchltd.com/14274-14274.html) and i love it to bits. Very good quality i thought for my first rep watch. The question i have is that the second hand is used as a chronograph, am i correct in saying this. 2 and 4 buttons to start and stop it. Are all rep watches like this or is this because of the type of movement? What type of movement allows the second hand to move like it should?

Thanks

JeffSpicoli

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/4/15
Yes, the second hand is the chrono seconds counter. Gen's are typically the same. The 2 o'clock button is for starting AND stopping and the 4 o'clock is for reset. Non-chono movements have the "sweep" second hand that I think you're looking for. You can also find some faux chrono reps where the look is that of the chrono watch, but the second hand sweeps around all the time. The dials are usually date or 24 hr counter.

JeffSpicoli

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/4/15
Oh, one other thing, you should stop the chrono with the top button before resetting it with the lower button to prevent excessive wear.

WingNut

Brig Warden
Supporter
19/4/12
Yep...

Best thing with these reps is don't play with them...of course you want things to work as advertised, but you really need the chrono function? if so buy a gen...

zero_deficit

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/12
Yeah generally speaking on chronographs watches, rep and gen, the largest hand is the chronograph's second hand, with constantly running seconds hand being on one of the three subdials. The remaining subdials will have hands for the chronograph's hour counter and minutes counter. So really the large hand is moving how it should.

If you want a watch, rep or gen, where the largest hand moves as a second hand, then you'll need a watch without a chronograph

Of course there are probably rare and expensive gen watches out there with exotic in-house movements where the chronograph works differently to what I just described, but within most of the watch world, and within the only three chronograph movements available in reps (A7750, ST-19, and Quartz movements), the large second hand will always behave in the way above