• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

to swiss or not to swiss

m3nster

I'm Pretty Popular
2/1/10
United States
Ok so all of a sudden I got the UPO bug so I got some quote from a couple of dealers. So the question is should I pay extra for the "swiss" or should I get the swiss clone? We are talking about $80 more for the swiss. What you guys think?

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
Get the Asian clone. It can be difficult to determine the legitmacy of an actual swiss movement. The clones are just as reliable and they are cheaper.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Get the Asian clone, there's no guarantee you'll get a Swiss ETA, in fact, I'm 99% sure you'll get a clone even if you order Swiss.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Good question. I got mine from Trevor last time and it's OK, it comes with ETA2824-2 (brass plated), however, most dealers should have this in Asian 2836-2 now. Try hontwatch. The model is Omega Planet Ocean UPO 45.5mm, best factory. Ask for pictures before he delivers the goods :) Post here if you are unsure.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Skip the a21j version and go straight to the Asian ETA clone.

Hont can accept bank transfer or not? This is the way that I choose to pay him. Cost me about 15 USD from here.

Or you can try Trevor. The last time he takes PP.

Liquid

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/5/09
To swiss but once the clone gives up or you fancy an upgrade. Genuine Swiss non-chronos can be sourced for cheap from Switzerland. Chronos are naturally more but still pretty cheap considering how many times they increase in value once installed into a watch case and put into a shop window run by annoying sales staff with cheesy smiles that stick to you like shit to a blanket.

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
Get the swiss clone if you mean 25 jewel ETA clone. Otherwise get the swiss if you want high beat but watch the price because there's a lot of swiss clone out there. 21 jewel will give you 6 beats per second and 25 jewel will give you 8 beats per second.