• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tips from the Workbench # 1 - Keyless Works

Rocketeer

Known Member
17/6/08
I thought I'd start a thread where we can add our little tips of how to make working on watches easier, safer, more successful etc.

My starter.

One of the most common problems I see is damage to the keyless works.
This is usually due to;

On movements with a push pin for stem release - pushing the pin too far and/or too hard.
Tip - pull the stem out to the adjust position, use something relatively soft like a toothpick to depress the pin, pull gently on the crown/stem while gently pressing down on the release pin. When released it will slide out quite easily, you should never have to apply much force to the release pin.
(On screw release movements - give the screw about one and a half turns and try removing the stem, if it doesn't slide out easily give the screw another half turn at a time until it does release.)

On refitting the stem -forcing the stem back in without allowing the stem to align properly in the winding pinion and clutch wheel.
Tip - You need to feel very carefully as you gently rotate the stem on re-fitting to allow these elements to align themselves. Never force it. If it doesn't slide in with a little wriggling, you may need to gently depress the release pin again. (Obviously on screw release mechanisms the release screw must be loosened - duh!)
If the stem doesn't seem to want to go in, you need to check to see if something (usually the clutch wheel) in the keyless works has slipped out of place.

Tip - After un-casing the movement always re-fit the stem to the movement. This prevents the parts of the keyless works falling out of place while you're working on it. And don't forget to snug the retaining screw (if the movement uses one) back up so the stem won't just fall back out. You will probably need the stem fitted to allow hand alignment anyway.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Great idea Rocket,

thanks for starting this

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
Toothpicks are invaluable when messing about with watches. I use them for adjusting the spring bars in clasps...wood doesn't scratch stainless... :wink:

chrono_luv

5/12/08
Great idea...I ordered a tool kit last week. I am eager to get my "hands on" training. Its the only way to get the experience of building/modding watches.

I am excited.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
This is a nice idea Rocketeer.

My experience with the Eta stem release button is that it really does not need to be pressed down much at all to get the stem to release. I think first timers at this have the notion that it needs more pressing than what is required. I take a screwdriver that fits exactly in the slot, this way the light downward pressure is applied evenly on the spring.

We all have ways of doing things. One thing I wish I had was a concrete floor. This way when parts are dropped they can be swept up with a sweeper...I have shag carpet, ugh it's the worst for doing watch repair.

Also it would be nice to see what kind of work space and tools everyone has for watch repair. Pics of workbenches.

Rocketeer

Known Member
17/6/08
cybee said:
This is a nice idea Rocketeer.

My experience with the Eta stem release button is that it really does not need to be pressed down much at all to get the stem to release. I think first timers at this have the notion that it needs more pressing than what is required. I take a screwdriver that fits exactly in the slot, this way the light downward pressure is applied evenly on the spring.

We all have ways of doing things. One thing I wish I had was a concrete floor. This way when parts are dropped they can be swept up with a sweeper...I have shag carpet, ugh it's the worst for doing watch repair.

Also it would be nice to see what kind of work space and tools everyone has for watch repair. Pics of workbenches

We're thinking along the same lines Cybee :)
The next thing I was thinking of posting about in this thread is favourite/indispensible tools and modifying tools- for example I like the K&D hand remover BUT only when it's been modified.

Flooring - I've fitted the laminated 'wood' flooring to my workshops in the belief that it will be much easier to keep clean and make finding 'pinged' items easier - using another of my frequently used tools - the big magnet! :twisted:
But even after installing this, some things - watch hands in particular for me - just seem to dissapear into an alternate universe, because they never turn up again in this one :evil: