• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Timezone tutorial

frenzalrhomb

Known Member
2/8/08
I'm about to embark on the tutorial and have a few questions :

1. The tool kits come with an ETA 6497 and as I have most of the tools I was thinking of getting the movement seperately
and wondered how much of a difference there would be between a gen and an asia 6497

2. This should have been question 1 but, I see the tutorials are based on basicaly 2 movements but the tool kits come
an option of a third an ETA 6497 how much of an hinderance would it be to use a different movement. I ask because I'd
rather use a 6497 and fit it to a Panerai

3. Thirdly (for now) could anyone who has sat the course pass on any comments or suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
The swiss 6497 and the asian are nearly identical in terms of design. In fact the keyless parts will interchange. But the teeth in the wheels are different from my experience. I would go ahead pay for the real Eta 6497 movement. This way if you happen to mess up, break, or lose a part you can readily order a replacement part.

The courses are good and worth taking and you will always have the materials for reference. But in addition to the printed materials you also have access to the online instructors. One of them in particular is in Holland and he really knows his stuff, and you can e-mail him or post questions for help on the school forum. Well worth it in my opinion.