• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Timegrapher irregularities

violinbf

Horology Curious
24/11/15
I got some QC pictures of a Seiko NH05a movement that looks strange. Any idea what is going on here? I assume this isn't normal.
21c080a1e0099e626b43613d442a6e58.jpg
2169d8a15f19be00c246a0340f41a400.jpg

Sent from the RWI mobile app

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
Its difficult to say without a full screen trace or video of a longer time period. The top pic seems to indicate poor power transmission, but it could simply be that this is the first few seconds that the watch was placed on the timegrapher or an amount of echo from the case itself

The second pic, with the watch in a different position than the first pic (angled) is a lot cleaner but still indicates a potential problem.

it could be something really simple, but unfortunately there isn't one single rock solid answer to these timegrapher results. You can take a timegrapher snap shot of a particular movement seeming to run sweet, however that snapshot is just a moment in time and doesn't always represent a true picture of a watches overall time keeping.

violinbf

Horology Curious
24/11/15
Its difficult to say without a full screen trace or video of a longer time period. The top pic seems to indicate poor power transmission, but it could simply be that this is the first few seconds that the watch was placed on the timegrapher or an amount of echo from the case itself

The second pic, with the watch in a different position than the first pic (angled) is a lot cleaner but still indicates a potential problem.

it could be something really simple, but unfortunately there isn't one single rock solid answer to these timegrapher results. You can take a timegrapher snap shot of a particular movement seeming to run sweet, however that snapshot is just a moment in time and doesn't always represent a true picture of a watches overall time keeping.
Thanks for your detailed reply. It would be great to be able to trouble shoot this myself some day. I have a lot to learn.

I guess the question is, should I ask for a different watch? I haven't purchased this yet. Could this test result point to future problems with the watch or is it a non issue?

Sent from the RWI mobile app