• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Thinking of modding a gen smp. Opinion?

Ko67

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
5/4/13
I saw this pic on another forum of a mod someone did on a gen omega smp. It is pvd coated with diamond like carbon, DLC. Looks really cool to me. I am thinking about doing this on one of my gen smp's. What do you guys think?

gSiiLLd.jpg

Zack Morris

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/10
Oregon
If you want to go DLC, do it. It is a fun mod. It will, however, affect the resale value. I had a gen Explorer II DLC'ed and I couldn't give the thing away when I was trying to sell it. I think I ended up getting $2,700 for it and had like $5,700 into it. Also, Omega will likely not touch the watch (if they are anything like Rolex) because it has been DLC'ed. Doesn't matter much for an Omega though since you can have it serviced anywhere. Definitely an interesting mod. If your watch is in mint condition, I'd sell it, buy a beater, and DLC the beater LOL. I'm actually looking for one of those (presumably that is a 2254.50).

Spyderhawker

27/9/12
Just buy a nice rep SMP and DLC it.

I would never modify a gen watch worth over $1500

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Gen Dial: $89

$%28KGrHqZHJCEE63%28UScHEBOzRY4frIg%7E%7E60_57.JPG

Gen Hands: $83 (probably less elsewhere...

%21B4U8%299Q%21mk%7E$%28KGrHqEOKkUEyM+zgniJBMpdp7nOgQ%7E%7E_12.JPG

I'd do the rep version, swap some parts out. If anyone asks, just tell them it's a sample watch to see if you really want to go all out on your gen. :)

dsmdave

Renowned Member
15/1/11
Looks pretty cool, but I agree with the other members. I think I would build a franken watch and see if I liked it first.

Ko67

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
5/4/13
Looks pretty cool, but I agree with the other members. I think I would build a franken watch and see if I liked it first.

Good advice from all. Unless I can find a more reasonably priced vendor, I will spend more on the coating than I will on the rep watch.

Kevin

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Love the idea. Although i do have to agree i would use this on a rep first.

The one you posted looks really nice, i don't like though the combo with the bezel. Its kind of shiny...

dsmdave

Renowned Member
15/1/11
Kevin would you also get the bracelet DLC'ed or would you strictly wear it with nato/strap?