• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

They say You Get What You Pay For!

dazandsun

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/1/09
Hi, I'm relatively new to this, and I'm hoping to tap into the fonts of all Rep Watch knowledge within here if possible.

There is so much info on here to sift through, it can be a bit overwhelming for noob like myself, but very helpful nonetheless.

I'm looking to buy my first rep. At the moment I'm extremely interested in a PO. As far as price goes Watcheden's models look pretty good for the money.

The 2 models I'm interested in are:
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Swiss ETA 2824 Movement With White Marking-Ultimate Version @ $295.

http://www.watcheden.com/omega-seam...ng-ultimate-version-replica-watch--20475.html

And the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean with AR Coating Same Chassis As Swiss ETA Version-High Quality @ $128. (I'm not sure which version/generation this one is.)

http://www.watcheden.com/omega-seam...ersion-high-quality-replica-watch--14426.html

I'm aware that most dealers stock the same watches, so this is not limited to Watcheden's models.

Now, apologies if I'm repeating questions from a fellow noob, but oviously there's a marked difference in price.

I've read many of the reviews of the Ultimate PO, which looks amazing, but beacause I don't know much about the other model I wanted to ask:

What are the differences in these models?
Do the differences warrant the difference in price (a question you can't really ask the guy you're buying from!)
Or is the cheaper one just not worth considering?

Is it a case of you get what you pay for?
Help me! my mind is beginning to unravel

Also, I'm open to suggestions of any other dealer that would better suit my location - UK.
Thanks in advance, Daz.

Vigil

8/11/08
Everyone has an opinion and I will share mine.

I love the smooth movement of an ETA or clone, especially in the UPO (or SOSF). I had a 21J SOSF and I LOVED IT, unfortunately I loved it so much I knew it had to be perfect.

A Swiss case rep is a great start, and you can always sell it if need be - but if your goal is the gen and not just another copy, an ETA based movement can't be beat.

I only have 2 gens right now, a black UPO and a blue SOSF and I am proud to wear them as I would a gen and always confident that I would never be "called out" and that makes the difference to me.

buckeye

11/4/06
dazandsun:

The two biggest differences seem to be the movement and the crystal. On the more expensive watch you get an ETA movement and a sapphire crystal...on the cheaper version you get Asian 21j and mineral glass....assuming that it is a genuine ETA then that would account for $75 to $100 and the sapphire crystal (which more than likely won't scratch---mineral glass is pretty soft and does scratch pretty easily) would account for $35 to $50.

It's really your call...I tend to buy fewer better watches and don't necessairly like the asian 21j, but some members have had great success.

One thing you might want to look at is the pricing of the new V3 deepsea sea dweller. It comes in three versions 21J, asian clone, and ETA...the price variations are pretty transparent and easy to compare with what you are looking at. Given the difference between the 21J and the ETA (say $130 versus $350)..the ETA "ultimate PO is a pretty good deal....

Finally, I'd write the dealer and ask him to verify that it is a swiss ETA...many watches being sold today as ETAs have the clone movement (which isn't bad) nut should be priced accordingly....

Helmet

Known Member
4/1/09
I am new to this as well, and I am looking at picking up the PO, the thing that sticks out in my head is the lug size, the ultimate has the correct lug size, so i am assuming that you can get the gen straps for that watch head, if you get the less expensive one I assume u get the lug size hence the braclelet size of the smaller version of the PO, as for the movement, that is just a personal call, its all in the beats.

Kahn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/5/08
Ulitmately.......yes. You do get what you pay for. Check out D4M about buying a PO for $175 in a group. The UPO is simply amazing and an all time favorite. Gen bracelets and straps will fit, along with alot more gen parts!

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
yes... as ETA.

which means....something similar as Eta. swiss ? nothing swiss about it.
propably the smell of the feet of the mechanic that put it together.....smelled as....SWISS rotten cheese !

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Very little chance that you will get an ACTUAL ETA for the increase in expenditure. It will be a clone. You're paying for marketing.
Please check out D4M's group buy. I've bought 2 and they are just nearly flawless. Smooth sweep ETA clone, sapphire crystal, takes many gen parts, and is darn cheap for the quality.
See this thread:
http://forum.replica-watch.info/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44657&hilit=UPO+group+buy
PM me if you need to know how to view and order.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I still say 'Swiss 'Structure' should be the catch phrase of 2009. You need to just put Swiss eta out of your mind. And everyone has their own preference as far as VPH. Some want their POs to beat faster than the gen and some don't. The ones who do buy a 2824. The ones who don't buy a 21J.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Hey that's a point. The gen doesn't have a VPH of 28 does it? That would make the 21J a better choice in this watch IMO. The 21J is as indestructable as a MVT can get and costs about 25bucks if/when it does finaly fail. That should be a long time down the track anyway.

As the guys have said, go for D4Ms group buy.

As for EU based dealers, the best bets (IMO) are Chriss at Eurotimez and Narika . Both can ship from inside the EU. Chriss tends to be a bit more expensive but his quality control is the stuff of legend.

Narika's photos: http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=1278421
Email: [email protected]

Eurotimez site: http://www.eurotimez.com/ Site is due for an upgrade sometime soon(ish)
email: [email protected]

D4Ms site: http://watchwoot.com/magento/index.php
Email: PM him here.

Note : D4M is not acepting orders untill the 15th of feb due to CN new year. No one else will be shipping untill then anyway execpt maybe Narika if he has it in UK stock or Chriss if it's in Thailand stock.

Good luck with your search.

Regards, Col.

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
If you're willing to tinker, buy a clone ETA watch and swap out the movement with a gen movement from Cousins UK or Otto Frei US. You could recoup some of the money afterwards by selling the clone movement on the forum... :wink:

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
23/10/06
...what they said.

I would rather pay for an ETA clone than a full price "Swiss ETA".