• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

These 4131 movements and the who and the what

TubeGuy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
2/2/24
So California
Hey guys

Don't bust my nuts for not searching, as I searched and found a great post, and I can't find it again. I want to buy a Daytona and Jtime has a 2023 Daytona 126500 Clean 1:1 Best Edition 904L Steel Black Dial on SS Braclet SH4131

I had read or thought I read, that the SH4131 was having issues or am I wrong? Is the 4130 a better choice if I can find it?

Lastly I don't know if I can upgrade the crystal at Jtime before shipping, but if you wanted something as a daily wearer what else would you ask them to do?

I own a lot of genuine watches, but I'm tripping out on all this stuff and my wife is pissed cause we're on vacation and all I'm doing is reading. Now I'm trying to figure out who ZF is.

Reactions: Jabbamonkey

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22
Ok first of all you're confusing the new and old generation Daytona. The new 126500 Daytona uses SH4131 from Clean.

The old generation 116500 from BTF and Clean uses SA4130. The ZF uses the SH4130.

SH4131 is new (only been out for 2 months) so not yet proven. But i haven't heard complaints.

The SH4130 used in ZF is the trouble maker. It isn't bad but there are complaints about it resetting poorly or dying.

The SA4130 or Dandong 4130 is much better.

Enjoy your vacation with family and stop worrying about it.

If you're looking for the 116x daytona - BTF or Clean

If 126x - Clean is the way to go.

I'll let you do the research instead of spoon feeding you more.

engmae

Horology Curious
21/2/24
This is the full comparison between movements aval. In the market

According to what I already understand some minor enhancements happened but nothing major; since 4130 was actually super good. Only the engraved number for 4131, so only an open back daytona would actually see the difference

Daily use pick a DIW daytona because its a light weight watch with (less than 50g) with a SA4130 movement (not SH)

You can find it in TD (the new Bumblebee on fire)

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
Hi, the 4131 seems to have problems. A seller told me it's not worth buying it now. Why don't you take the previous version ?

Reactions: Dave2302

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
As of this moment I would only go with one that has the SA 4130. These are tried and true movements that have been in use since they first were released in the noob Daytona years back. As said above the SH-4131 is two new to know for sure how good it's going to be but considering which factory it comes from I don't expect it to be at the same reliability level as the SA 4130 from dandong. In the description from c time they say it's almost on par with the dandong...note the almost. Once we get some disassembly reviews by our watchsmiths I will be more comfortable with recommending it, assuming they give it a good review. The description overall looks promising but again it's a brand new movement and I don't like to be a guinea pig personally

Last edited:

TubeGuy

Supporter
2/2/24
So California
Wow thanks. Funner than sh*t learning about this. I'm going to get a GMT2 and Daytona.

It seems that looking at Ctime they don't do real waterproofing. I don't plan to dunk the watch, but you never know. Does any TD offer a real waterproofing or is it not possible on a rep?

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Wow thanks. Funner than sh*t learning about this. I'm going to get a GMT2 and Daytona.

It seems that looking at Ctime they don't do real waterproofing. I don't plan to dunk the watch, but you never know. Does any TD offer a real waterproofing or is it not possible on a rep?
There is no such thing as a waterproof watch, gen or rep. Some TDs offer testing for water resistance. The issue is that by the time you receive it, there is no guarantee that it's still meeting those levels. The best thing to do is once you receive it, have it tested. This is also something you'll need to do periodically as you wear it more.

TubeGuy

Supporter
2/2/24
So California
My genuine Rolex watches have been getting dunked for decades. I don't scuba dive anymore, but I'm used to not being too nervous about being at the beach or just getting my hands in the sink washing dishes on that rare occasion.

My sense is the tolerances aren't nearly as good on a rep. I want to buy a Cleam GMT and a Clean Daytona. Ctime offers water pressure testing but it's like 2 bar. I guess I can ask every TD if they offer something better but they may fudge too.

I know you've been around the block @TESLA760 so appreciate your input here or PM. Or anyone else. Thank you.

Reactions: TESLA760

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22
My genuine Rolex watches have been getting dunked for decades. I don't scuba dive anymore, but I'm used to not being too nervous about being at the beach or just getting my hands in the sink washing dishes on that rare occasion.

My sense is the tolerances aren't nearly as good on a rep. I want to buy a Cleam GMT and a Clean Daytona. Ctime offers water pressure testing but it's like 2 bar. I guess I can ask every TD if they offer something better but they may fudge too.

I know you've been around the block @TESLA760 so appreciate your input here or PM. Or anyone else. Thank you.
Basically

Most high end and even mid end replica watches can be made waterproof. My VS subs came out of the box passing 10 bars. Same with even my cheaper BP explorer.

Only 2 watches come to mind having "iffy" waterproofing and that was the Clean GMT first gen (a few years ago) and the 3K Aquanaut.

However, in terms of practicality, I think the question to ask is "risk vs reward". If your fake watch fails under water suddenly due to gasket issues or an act of god, it is a hassle to get it repaired, and sometimes not even worth it.

I personally take my Citizen Promaster Diver, GShock, and replica Tudor FXD as my beach watches. But I don't take my Clean GMT or Daytona, even though they passed water resistance tests. Why? If it failed it would be a bitch to repair, service, etc.

Reactions: Nono92