• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Theft Worthy Threshold

MeasurementCraft

Known Member
30/6/22
Hi All,

I am travelling through Europe end of year and am planning not to bring any of my ‘expensive’ reps at risk of getting mugged for it in the streets of London etc.

My question is, what are the crooks going for and what is considered a safe watch? Are they mugging for Omega’s or are they just going for anything shiny that isn’t an Apple Watch?

I will feel naked travelling without a watch and would rather wear something, unless it means I’m going to lose a limb.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I would go either titanium or PVD. Avoid anything that is shiny. Something like a pelagos, Omega seamaster titanium or breitling avenger PVD.

GMT+9Tokyo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/1/20
Germany
They are thugs, but they are not completely stupid. They know what brands are worth the risk. Niche brand or model is the way to go if you have to wear an expensive watch (rep or real makes no difference imo). Or just play it safe with a Casio :)

LongyUK

Certified
9/3/21
I’d wear what you want… just be careful not to do anything stupid.

Do you have any idea how many Londoners wear a sub into the city every day. Tens and tens of thousands.

Just don’t wear a Tiffany ap into a nightclub.

Ah0rsey

18 hands high, bushy mane.
Patron
Certified
9/8/22
uk
I’d wear what you want… just be careful not to do anything stupid.

Do you have any idea how many Londoners wear a sub into the city every day. Tens and tens of thousands.

Just don’t wear a Tiffany ap into a nightclub.
Sub Pop Cameron Dutra GIF by Sub Pop Records

Reactions: LongyUK

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
🇩🇪
Hi All,

I am travelling through Europe end of year and am planning not to bring any of my ‘expensive’ reps at risk of getting mugged for it in the streets of London etc.

My question is, what are the crooks going for and what is considered a safe watch? Are they mugging for Omega’s or are they just going for anything shiny that isn’t an Apple Watch?

I will feel naked travelling without a watch and would rather wear something, unless it means I’m going to lose a limb.

Depending on where you go, common sense will say to avoid slums and ghettos, and no conversation with people you don't know. Other than that I would say it's quite safe to wear whatever you want. I have worn expensive gens in Paris, Milan, Munich, Berlin, Amsterdam, Vienna, Budapest etc and untouched.

Reactions: Brownarb

rolex4me

often nice, sometimes evil😜
Supporter
10/4/16
Hi All,

It always depends on where you are traveling.
There are places where you will be robbed for a $500 watch and then there are places where the only thing they will rob you for is expensive jewelry.
Personally, I have only gone on a trip once without a watch. That was when I was traveling in Kiev (before the war).
I just felt uncomfortable in some areas of Kiev, even though I met a lot of nice people there.

Brownarb

Looking Around
10/9/20
I think that the risk has been somewhat overplayed by social media in recent years; my office is in East London and I regularly travel into the City and West End wearing a variety of fairly nice reps and gens; in the last 5 years only once have I felt under threat and that was on the Central line (tube) between Stratford and South Woodford, where three young lads got on and made comments about my Sub whilst looking at me like I was food... I ignored them (had my headphones in, so pretended not to hear what was being said) and tried my best not to look intimidated. Other than that, I can only advise being careful and aware of your surroundings (particularly at night), having an air of confidence and belonging and not looking lost and confused; you're much less likely to be viewed as a potential victim. Otherwise, I very much hope that you enjoy all that London has to offer!