• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Second Broken Watch Glass

dedicatedforlif

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/6/09
I'm not sure if it is the quality of the watch or whatd not, but I have had two watches from Hont in which the glass has broke completely on them. There wasn't much contact with them or anything to really make damage to the watch that's why I am curious to see other peoples reaction to this.

I have a Panerai luminor 8 days GMT and a Tag Grand Car. 17, I replaced the glass in the Pan, but the tag just broke and I guess I will replace this glass as well but was wondering if people are reporting a lot of broken glass.

Thanks.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
bud, did you order watches with saphhire crystal or mineral, we got to be sure here. And are you living in a place where the weather is fluctuating.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Sapphire is scratch resistant but it also breaks more easily. And if it's less than 1.2-1.5mm thick, it can break quite easily.

dedicatedforlif

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/6/09
bud, did you order watches with saphhire crystal or mineral, we got to be sure here. And are you living in a place where the weather is fluctuating.

Sapphire is scratch resistant but it also breaks more easily. And if it's less than 1.2-1.5mm thick, it can break quite easily.

Good questions and thanks for the response! I'm not sure on the thickness or the material that the glass was made of to be honest. I'll look into it! Thanks for the quick response :)

Oh and I live in Canada. Fluctuation of weather isn't that extreme.

fine dd

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/8/06
Both crystals have more than 2.5 mm material thickness.

It is more a question of the tension of material.

There is one rule of thumb:
Take Gasket in the same size as the measured
bezel. Choose the glass 6/10 mm smaller than the diameter of
the bezel and pressing the glass.

If you go higher with the glass measure the crystal can break.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Is it a known issue with these reps? I don't remember of a similar case recently.

deloreandmc

I'm Pretty Popular
23/10/09
I hade a fairly thick B&R and it had mineral crystal and it completely shattered, but I guess you could say fulctuation in weather, also Canada, but is was just turning summer again, but mine also got slammed in with a log, alot more contact than a light tap

fine dd

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/8/06
Is it a known issue with these reps? I don't remember of a similar case recently.
Not a speciality of these reps.
It is because cutting the costs.
If you build a rep it is cheaper to use a stock crystal.
Special constructions are expensive.
I observe that brand new watches comes with glued crystals because they are to small,
or you need a hammer to press them out because they are to big...