• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tag Link Bracelet Issue

willster

Renowned Member
15/3/06
Question....is there a way to remove a link from the typical Tag Link bracelet.....

bought the wife a MOP tag rep which she loves...but bracelet is too big....one link removed would do it
but I cant figure a way to geet one out...amybe I'll check out Gen site for info...but any help would be appreciated

xbaltzx

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/2/07
I got a white MOP Link for the girlfriend from WBK and it was very difficult to work with. I ended up taking mine to a watchsmith and had him figure it out. I thought that the 2 circles on each link were release buttons, but they released nothing. Good luck

willster

Renowned Member
15/3/06
xbaltzx said:
I got a white MOP Link for the girlfriend from WBK and it was very difficult to work with. I ended up taking mine to a watchsmith and had him figure it out. I thought that the 2 circles on each link were release buttons, but they released nothing. Good luck

Yeah I know....dimples are confusing....did the watchsmith fix it?

willster

Renowned Member
15/3/06
:lol:

Thanks Z80 and to By-Tor as usual.....great review as well as link for resizing......the wife will be very happy

xbaltzx

4/2/07
willster, let us know how it goes with the resize

and yes the watchsmith fixed it.

willster

Renowned Member
15/3/06
Well I took apart the Tag Link Braclet.....actually a piece of cake.....will show pics after I get the camera set up....

First took apart my Gen link bracelet first...sure enough little screws

The wifes Rep Braclet was a little harder....drove out the clasp link pin.....funny ...one clasp link had a pin with split bulging end for friction fit...the other one had a knurled end for friction fit......both different....thats reps for you...

the rep bracelet dosent have covered screws holding it together...they are straight pins with knurling on both ends...a little hard to separate sections of link because of this...very tight...but took two micro screwdrivers and carefully wedged into joint and levered one against the other and the pieces separated easy...with no damage to finish.

You need to check the fit of the link tongue with the clasp link opening.....seems that the completed links are not all exactly the same width accross the tongue that fits into the "U" shaped opening.......though I was only going to have to take out one link to make it work but ended up having to take out the second link and replace the first link to get everything to fit right......actuall took out one link on both sides...then bracelet was too tight...so back to the drawing board...but only took a minute to replace on toi make the bracelet fit perfect...

While I was at it...I took the entire bracelet apart......gave each link pin a polishing to make the bracelet action smoother and WD40 it....its like butter now....not stiff or tight......

also I decided to dress the brushed bracelet up a little....polished the ends of the links...then taped off the edges to protect the brushed finish on the tangs of the "Y" on both sides...and put a high polish on the center tongue only......looks the balls and nowthe breacelet sparkles.

will get some photos this weekend hopefully

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
willster said:
the rep bracelet dosent have covered screws holding it together...they are straight pins with knurling on both ends...a little hard to separate sections of link because of this...very tight...but took two micro screwdrivers and carefully wedged into joint and levered one against the other and the pieces separated easy...with no damage to finish.

Odd... i would have assumed all the rep link bracelets would have been the same... because (as shown in by-tors review) and in the example of the Link Chrono I have... the bracelet is almost dead on to gen... little screws and all...
Shame the manufacturer cut that corner... the great bracelet is one of the nicest features of the Link Chrono.

xbaltzx

4/2/07
@willster thanks for the info. I might just go ahead take my gf's apart and go to town.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

willster

Renowned Member
15/3/06
OiRogers...yeah I felt the same way...my gen has screws and I expected screws.....nope just steel pins on the Rep....bracelet was stiff because pins were close to same diameter as holes in links....after complete rework of holes and polishing of pins....bracelet is now silky smooth....also polish job made a world of differance....but who wants to put that much time into it......but thats the nice thing about Reps....we can mod them...play with them.....mix and match to make frankens....all for short money...and if you screw up....get another one
:lol: :lol: