• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tag Heurer DLC Aquaracer

Champagne iH

4/1/14
Just got a Tag Heurer DLC Aquaracer in just to compare it side by side with a PVD Glycine Combat Sub on British Khaki NATO.

The Tag is very well done. The bag engraving could be deeper and the lume, while fantastic initially fades way too quickly but it’s almost a 1:1 rep. The Glycine is a better by with a Sellita movement that’s adjusted very well, but the Heuer is impressive especially the strap. It looks like sail cloth but is a tight canvas padded with leather and a very nice DLC clasp.

I wish the lume lasted much longer and then it would be incredible. The ceramic insert is held by DLC steel which allows you a better grasp. I’m sure if this was a gen and truly depth rather these tabs would help you grasp the bezel in gloves.

I’ve been looking at a few micro brands and of course the very nice and thin Glycine Combat subs.

I’ve got a Tudor Pelagos with blue dial and bezel on the way. I decided against a H2 Hamtun Kraken because they are going with a wonky clasp.

Breaking in the bracelet takes a bit of fine and some saddle soap/mink oil combo. But this would look great on an Alphashark seatbelt NATO just as easily.

Good NATOs that are buy 2 get one free and a veterans/first responder discount. New customers get 10% too. They all add up to $45US with 3 premium NATOs.

Here are some photos of the Aquaracer. Forgive the bad lighting and iPhone pictures.

e4808f4a07cf920f30e87b21b5141092.jpg

While you can’t see it in the picture, the cyclops is dead on, centered and not poorly coated with AR.

9db7bb0f40aeda296e03caa0c64ef374.jpg
9eefe5d148f281514bdba05e0f75355e.jpg
199e22fc3f1d9bce5c0017cab74945a6.jpg
b94e8dde57bd059069eb21e43d4da922.jpg

Head to head. Glycine Combat Sub and Tag PVC.
65ef3b41ed21628eeddfd681e7adb242.jpg
6605bd38d5b80681cd565b520759e3de.jpg

The Glycine is definitely shinier with the PVD but these aren’t supposed to be a head to head. The Glycine definitely is thin and it has a more thin bezel. But it’s also a great watch for $300US gray market, while they can be had. I’ve always wanted an Aquaracer but when it came time to pay, I couldn’t spend the dollars for an ETA 2824-/ and decent dial. It’s worth basically what the rep costs, unless you are really into boxes you can’t toss and worry about resale.

Trusty has provided me 4 really good reps in 60 days. The 4th is coming but I haven’t bought a rep in forever because of high quality brands under $1000 and even $500, but the LMPO was a no brained with an ETA 2892-2 clone inside, great lume and few faults. The Omega Bond AT Spectre is pretty nice. Though I might have cross threaded the crown tube. It’s an easy fix and the movement does work well and has a good 60+ hour power reserve.

If this had the lume, I would buy it again in a heart beat. It’s a great strap monster. But truthfully I would say grab the Glycine while you can. It doesn’t even feel like you have a watch on.

I hope the blue Pelagos will be good. I might send it off for a DLC clear coat of it turns out to be a good watch.

I have far too many watches. I’ve started redoing old clocks to keep busy this Winter but I thought I would share my thoughts on this rep. A very good Aquaracer.

I’m glad I didn’t buy the Miyota versions. The rotors are hit and miss on them and when noisy I just don’t care how accurate it can be. Much like a bad 7750 valljoux, Asian or Swiss. Loud is just not fun in a wrist watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Champagne iH

4/1/14
I should mention that this is clearly DLC stainless steel versus the genuine 2016 being coated Titanium. That being said the official color of the strap is sand. It just looks very close to British Khaki on my NATO. I have a 22mm sand canvas that I still haven’t opened that came with a M2M purchase from the KSA included with a Tudor Heritage Black Bay. I just don’t think the 2016 release liked that light.

It actually does look good when first lumed up. But it fades. So quick that while you are checking for that bicolor it is only visible under my UV/Blacklight flashlight. Of course under the flashlight the twin colors on my LMPO are much more apparent as well.

It’s too bad they couldn’t swing this in Titanium.

If you try to look for this as a genuine you will find that it is sold out in ADs and no longer available through Tag Heuer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

igorivan

Horology Curious
15/2/19
Just backed the Kraken, I think they are going with a better clasp as the funding has been exceeded.