• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tag Heuer Carrera Date 7750 - Review w/ Pics & Issues... & comparison to 21J

vr44

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/10/09
Hey guys. So I got my first "Super Rep" This is actually the second version of this watch I purchased. The first one was a 21J that I got for 108 shipped on watcheden the second is a 7750 that I paid about 200 for from a forum dealer. The watch looks great! BUT I have a few issues that I would love opinions on

Between the 21J and the watch I have now:
The Band:
The 21J had a band with links that would "Jam" and not flow well. [not a real issue]. the 21j had "cotter pin" looking pins holding the links together. The 7750 has pins with notches in the middle that feed into a bushing. I would assume this is more authentic. Also my band on the 21J had issues with opening up all the way. the quick deployment on the push button buckle side had a hole drilled int he wrong place and would not properly swing open. It was not a real issue - Because I could still slip my hand in it. It was also missing a screw on the clasp itself. Again not a big issue. Otherwise it looked great!

The Face:

The dials from a distance look similar on the 21j to the gen, but they are different up close and function differently. The 7750 is exact. On the 21J they are different numbers and on my rep did not quite work. The top dial kinda just moved 90 degres when I pushed the top chrono dial, not sure what that is about. the second hand on the 21j in the little dial near 9:00 did not do anyhting, but would randomly move sometimes. The bottom dial near 6:00 worked like a army clock and is based on 24 hours. On the 21J the second button on the watch is ued to change the date. On the 7750 everything is ecaxt.

The case:

Both watches look good. The 21j has like a hole drilled on 1 seide wich the 7750 does not have. case on both looks great

Now Issues & Mods on my 7750

1. The clasp on my band did not stay closed! The back plate had the holes that the pins come through punched out too close together! I had to mod it with a dremel tool. It did not come out clean - but atleast it works now. That whole back plate with the 2 scres in it is messy.

2. The Band. I like the band especially compaired to the 21j band. BUT... the links used to seat the band to the watch do not have their holes drilled in the right place! This means the band is not seated correctly on the watch. It also means that the pins are under alot os stress because they have to be bent to actually seat in the watch itself. Also - this means that taking the band off and trying to put it back on are a pain in the ass. So I did the following mod - but they still do not seat.

look how that link is supposed to be seated on the inner circle.

SOOOO---

I hit it with a dremel tool and elongated the hole. This was a pain int he ass - the most important part of this is finding a good way to hold the peice while I am drilling it.

The Mechanism 7750:

When I shake the "winding weight" I can feel it. Is that normal? Or does this thing need lube? or soemthing? Should I be able to feel any vibrations when the watch is winding? what is normal?

---------------------------------------------
Questions to the group:
Should I ask my seller to replace these parts?:

Thanks!

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Comparing the 21J and 7750 is like apples and oranges. The chronos on the 21J do work. They are just running all the time and tracking functions that do not correspond with the markings. This is why it appears to be nonsensical. The issues with the bracelet are common when dealing with reps. Not specific to one over the other meaning it could have easily been the other way around.

vr44

4/10/09
Is it worth asking my dealer to send replacement parts with my next order?

Also any comments on:

The Mechanism 7750:
When I shake the "winding weight" I can feel it. Like vibrations of it spinning. Is that normal? Or does this thing need lube? or soemthing? Should I be able to feel any vibrations when the watch is winding? what is normal?

[also the comparison to the 21j is just for other noobs out there like me who could not find info on the 21j otherwise]

vr44

4/10/09
anyone have any thoughts on if I should contact my dealer?

ewatch

25/10/08
Vr i read in a previouse post that the rotor may need to be tightend, mods please confirm.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
The noise it makes when the rotor spis is normal. The problem with the end link is often the hole locations on the case. If it is the bracelet then it is more than likely the same on every one. Looks like you fixed the one you have.

vr44

4/10/09
fakemaster - thanks for the input. I was afraid it might be issues with the holes drilled in the wrong spots on the case. But I would be very afraid to mess with that. With the holes that I drilled - I only did one side and I did not do it all the way. Needs more drilling and I need a better clamp!

Does any dealer quality control for that stuff - like por fitting bands? I have heard good things about the QC of hont? any conformation?

Lezzare

Supporter
Certified
29/1/09
SG
I have the same watch as you, but the rotor plate is different. My bracelet too is problematic and even after I soaked it in WD40, the pins are still stuck. I had to take it to the watchsmith to have it resized. I didn't bother asking for another bracelet as it seem to be a common problem, its pointless having another faulty one. Other than that, its a stunning watch.