• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rattrapante?

tiresmoke

8/4/06
Anyone know if there is a quality rattrapante rep with functional second hand chrono feature?

TWP

I'm Pretty Popular
7/5/06
I have one that I order from Andrew. You may check with Trusty. I may be wiling to trade mine. Just replaced the battery, working nicely.

IWC3A.jpg

IWC6A.jpg

moggio

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/06
the GEn is an automatic isnt it ? and what isthe size of your rataprante,,I think this is the small version one ?

D

d4m.test

What leads you to the conclusion that this is a working rattrapante....?

TWP

I'm Pretty Popular
7/5/06
TTK said:

I am not quite sure what you are asking here. My knowledge concerning watches is not as vast as yours. Could you be a little more specific :?:

TWP

I'm Pretty Popular
7/5/06
TTK said:

Answer: The watch functions, it works, but it is not a working rattrapante.

he Portuguese seafarers, of course, were not interested only in navigation. For them, precision timing was also a priority, which is why it was essential that the Portuguese line also had room for chronographs. The Portuguese Chrono-Automatic is actually the little brother of the Portuguese Chrono-Rattrapante, whose imposing appearance has fascinated many a watch lover. The huge demand prompted the watchmakers from Schaffhausen to create the automatic chronograph. In the space made available by the lack of a split-seconds mechanism they inserted an automatic winding system. The 79350 calibre movement with its rate of 28,800 beats per hour guarantees the legendary precision that you would expect of a watch with a provenance in sea travel. Needless to say, the Portuguese Chrono-Automatic comes with the typical features of a Portuguese watch: embossed Arabic numerals, tapering swallow-style hands and recessed subdials for the minutes and seconds counters.

I am sure that you knew this, but I did not.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
shutter_bug said:
A rattrapante (meanse catch-uppy-thing in french, or catcher-upper) has two chrono second hands. The reset button can pause one of the hands for split-times, but the main one keeps going. You can then press the button again and it catches up like a catchy-uppy-thing, hence the name. Conversely, a flyback chrono resets instantly on the press of a button, allowing you to start timing again quickly. This used to be called Retour-en-vol, which any schoolboy will tell you means to go back to steal something ... oh, I mean return-flyingly.

narikaa

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
15/3/06
Pugwash said:
shutter_bug said:
A rattrapante (meanse catch-uppy-thing in french, or catcher-upper) has two chrono second hands. The reset button can pause one of the hands for split-times, but the main one keeps going. You can then press the button again and it catches up like a catchy-uppy-thing, hence the name. Conversely, a flyback chrono resets instantly on the press of a button, allowing you to start timing again quickly. This used to be called Retour-en-vol, which any schoolboy will tell you means to go back to steal something ... oh, I mean return-flyingly.

Which in a French Linguistically-thingy kinda way explains why there are no reps with true catchy-uppy twin seconds hands

D

d4m.test

As Puggy stated........and I won't go over old ground......I just wondered if your watch being quartz had some sort of special feature that allowd for timing two events.....it still wouldn't be a rattrapante....but I wasn't sure....!

As Narikaa says.....there are no accurate reps available.....the timing mechanisms ar quite complicated......I mean you've seen all the kerfuffle about Asian 7750's....can you imagine the hulabaloo if they started to produce rattrapantes....oh and as he says......his is much more accurate a rep than Trusty's.....which bears little relation to the original at all.....other than the legend 'rattrapante' on the dial..... :D

Here's a pic of my Omega rattrapante....you can see the double timing hands....set at 12 and set at 6.......the Broad Arrow and Chopard Mille Miglia in the background are conventional chronographs.....capable of timing a single event......the rattrapante can time two events simultaneously.....!
Chronos04.jpg

TWP

I'm Pretty Popular
7/5/06
Pugwash said:
shutter_bug said:

Thanks, for the lesson Pug.

TWP

I'm Pretty Popular
7/5/06
TTK, never mind the Omega, nice looking Chopard in the bg.

d44hvj

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/4/06
Don't some just have one hand? and by pressing the reset button (when timing) it pauses and by repressing the reset button again it catches up...or are these called flyback?

Have seen the above on a seiko.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
d44hvj said:
Don't some just have one hand? and by pressing the reset button (when timing) it pauses and by repressing the reset button again it catches up...or are these called flyback?

Have seen the above on a seiko.
That's a split timer.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
simple stuffs
not so simple to duplicate stuffs
never duplicated stuffs
reeeeely simple..

Life is Simple (& Good)
Klink