• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

T4D's fantasy 48mm SMP

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
Brand: Omega
Model: Seamaster Professional Chrono
Size: 48mm
Weight: 200g
Movement: Modified 21J
Case: Stainless Steel
Strap: Stainless Steel SMP with diver's extension
Dealer: Time4Direct
Cost: $89 +shipping

I was mildly curious when Robert posted this one in his section. Since I liked the SMP and was going to make it my first rep way back when but I couldn't get past the small size I decided to try it out just for fun. I'm sure no one expects this to be a high-quality piece but I like and enjoy it for it's uniqueness.

The biggest fantasy tip is of course the case size. At 48mm it dwarfs my 45.5mm PO in the winder. The display back really looks out of place, especially since it appears they tried to give it the look of the Omega back with the center cut out. I honestly can't hardly tolerate looking at the back of the watch because it's just so wrong. :facepalm::lol:

A less-common mod on faux chrono models is the subdial at 9 is a seconds subdial and moves in time with the large second hand. I'm guessing that it is this modification that causes it not to 'hack', which takes some getting used to. It could be an aspect of the movement type as well, since it's appearance is different from my other 21Js.

The date rolls over slowly instead of snapping to the next day, and can be manually advanced by pressing the pusher at 2. This creates the possibility of accidentally advancing the date by hitting the button inadvertently.

The print on the dial is sharp and the wave pattern looks good. Lume is probably one of the worst I have seen except for the pearl, which ironically has probably the best lume of any of my reps.

The bezel insert is decent enough and the clicks are positive and feel tight, but the bezel is loose enough that it can be slightly rocked at certain angles. The crystal is mineral glass. Robert always says "heavy AR" in his posts, and while others I have bought from him fit the description this one does not. The AR is barely noticeable (or effective). Again, due to the low cost, what can I expect anyway.

The bracelet is really cheap. It's extremely light-weight and just feels really poor. The diver's extension flips open too easily, which is an easy fix but I decided to ditch the bracelet for a strap. I will say the solid end links have some heft to them.

I have ordered a black PO strap and I think that will look pretty good with this watch. The PO strap will help hide the unfinished area between the lugs. While the sides of the case is properly brushed the area between the lugs appears to be raw machined. For now I have it on a Tropic Racer strap and it doesn't look bad except when you can see between the lugs.

I suppose one of the indications of it's relative cheapness is that while it's larger than my PO they weigh exactly the same.

I think that covers it, and anyway, who cares right? I doubt Robert sold any of these other than this one but it has served it's intended purpose adequately. I now know what a large SMP would look like on my wrist, and I can definitely say that a standard sized one would be too small. This was a fun exercise and little money spent for satisfying my curiosity!

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1584-2.jpg

acharria

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/10/09
What a great review...
Im happy for you, good you like it so much...
Tks for share...btw really good pics too.

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
who cares really if it's a fantasy..? sometimes a nice watch is just a nice watch!! if anyone asks stupid questions, just answer, that thay must have beeh hiding under a dead elefant, since they dont know the famous " limited edition smp xxl"...

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
as said a nice looking item ....... I would give it a try ..................

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
as said a nice looking item ....... I would give it a try ..................

Gee, how surprising :lol:
Actually I am surprised. Surprised you don't have one already!

Col.

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
im till suffering the iphone problem mate ????

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Did that not resolve its self?

Col.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Does this come with swiss movement or only 21j???Beautiful watch i have to say...

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
As Anopsis said the back of the watch is so bad that really give me seconds thoughts about it.With a rubber strap i think ypu can have a nice thing to wear...After po i have to say the next thing for me...

watcher69

23/11/09
My blue version arrived yesterday, with a minor hitch - the rotor was detached and floating around. I emailed Robert, who replied promptly with an address to return it to, but also mentioned it was an easy fix. I asked for some instructions, and sure enough, I was easily able to rectify the problem!

I have had to take it off the ss strap for now, since I don't have the link remover tool neede to shorten it, so it's currently being quite a Franken on a breitling rubber!!

Either way, I am quite happy with it, it's a fine looking watch, and also a useful test for my curiosity over a large watch - I now know that my wrist can handle a 48mm piece!

Ad