• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swiss quartz still = tick tick tick?

armstroa

Do not accept unsolicited offers
3/10/09
This feels like a dumb question, but here it goes. I am looking at some reps hoping for a sweeping movement, but the top end available movement is Swiss quartz. Am I right in assuming that this will be a tick tick tick action? If so, I'll go with the cheaper 'standard' quartz. Thanks for the help.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
If the high end is Swiss Quartz, then either 1) the gen is also quartz, or 2) you're looking at a crappy dealer trying to sell you junk. Hopefully it's the first.
Either way, the upgrade fee for Swiss quartz is a croc. Japanese quartz are better, and Chinese are just about equal.
So please tell: what watch are you looking at and from which dealer??

Renowned Member
30/3/09
If the high end is Swiss Quartz, then either 1) the gen is also quartz, or 2) you're looking at a crappy dealer trying to sell you junk. Hopefully it's the first.
Either way, the upgrade fee for Swiss quartz is a croc. Japanese quartz are better, and Chinese are just about equal.
+1 That way we can help you avoid the various pitfalls of a bad experience. Which is what this place is all about:)

Time4Direct

Trusted Dealer (In Memoriam RIP)
Gold Patron
25/3/08
Japanese and French are about the best quartz value for money. There are actually a few that have sweeping center hands as well

Time4Direct

Trusted Dealer (In Memoriam RIP)
Gold Patron
25/3/08
Don't think it's anything that complicated although I have seen some watches with a quartz and automatic movement in some time last year it had a faux turbilion run by an auto movement and the watch hands were run by quartz very effective actually

budo

Known Member
28/7/09
Hey, this is getting interresting. Please tell some more about these combos. Brands, models, I'd love to know more...

desmoquattro

Getting To Know The Place
25/7/09
I've handled "sweeping" second chrono quartz models (specifically Rodanias). They use a mechanism that mimics sweeping on the sweep hand for the chrono function (not the running seconds but the main seconds that you engage with the chrono pusher). It's very stuttery and not at all mechanical-like. It just looks like three or four beats per second with very sharp movements. Almost like an 18 000-19 000 bph movement. A cheapo 21J with 21600 bph runs much smoother.

armstroa

Do not accept unsolicited offers
3/10/09
thanks for the help

Thanks all for the help. The watches are a Rado Jubilee and Cartier Ballon Bleu. To be fair to the dealer (a highly rated trusted one so I don't want to slag him on account of my ignorance), when I asked about movements, he originally quoted prices for the "usual" quartz. It was only after I asked about other available movements that he mentioned the Swiss option. So I'll go with the standard since I really like the watches.

I do wonder why non-spring action can't reproduce a sweep. It seems to me that if you can translate crystal resonance into 3600 bph, it should be possible to up that by a factor of 8. But I digress.

Thanks again for the help.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Thanks all for the help. The watches are a Rado Jubilee and Cartier Ballon Bleu. To be fair to the dealer (a highly rated trusted one so I don't want to slag him on account of my ignorance), when I asked about movements, he originally quoted prices for the "usual" quartz. It was only after I asked about other available movements that he mentioned the Swiss option. So I'll go with the standard since I really like the watches.

I do wonder why non-spring action can't reproduce a sweep. It seems to me that if you can translate crystal resonance into 3600 bph, it should be possible to up that by a factor of 8. But I digress.

Thanks again for the help.

Sweeping seconds hand in a Quartz watch is achieved with a tuning fork movement, it has been around for a long time now. As for the Rado and Ballon Bleu... Rado uses quartz in most of their watches, probably 95% of their models use Quartz and Cartier uses Quartz in lots of their models as well, like the Santos line, Panthere, joaillerie models, the Ballon Bleu line, etc.