• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SWISS DAYTONA QUESTIONS

acesup_11

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/3/06
Hi im still a little new to the forum and have 3 reps so far i have a carbon faced PAM with SS strap and a 2001 silver face SS band Rolex Daytona asian movement with seconds at 6:00 from Joshua. I also have a MBW TT SUB BLUE FACE from Luckyyy which is great by the way took a while but worth it. So my question is where can i get a swiss daytona from because to be honest the movement on the asia daytona especially the modified one is horrible and the second hand actually "ticks" instead of sweeps like the sub. So i guess my quuestion is can you get a swiss that has working chronos and a nice sweeping movement reliable swiss also im pretty sure the older daytona but still modern look did have the seconds at 9:00 feel free to correct me if im wrong. i just love daytona's but the one i got im a less than satisfied and i even had it serviced and it did nothing. Also one last thing on the MBW from luckyyy the band kinda sucks the rest of the watch is unbelievable but the band feels really cheap and sqeeks alot. sorry for the rant im just getting so into this hobby.

crumpdaddy

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/06
Josh has swiss daytonas - check out his website.

Sichuan has the swiss daytona offering as well.

Those are the two I know for certain, however I am sure other dealers offer this piece as well.

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
The problem is not really the movement as much as it is the modifications made to the movement so that the second run at 6. There is an extra plate with extra gears that move the seconds from 9 to 6 in the 2005 daytonas. This is what generally causes the jerky second hand. Even if you switched to the swiss version I have a feeling you would get the same result, but with a much higher price tag.

If you bought a pre-2000 Daytona with seconds at 9 the sweep would be much smoother even with an asian mocement.

crumpdaddy

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/06
Roeod4 - so basically that means any rep Daytona with seconds running @ 9 is an instant fake indicator?

Roeod4

14/3/06
crumpdaddy said:
Roeod4 - so basically that means any rep Daytona with seconds running @ 9 is an instant fake indicator?

Not at all. Rolex had watches with the seconds running at 9 up until the year 2000. The big problem with the reps that have seconds running at 9 is the sub dial spacing. They are usually not lined up correctly.

The big give away is a Daytona that has the subdials as date function. :wink:

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
crumpdaddy said:

Nope. The old Zenith El Primero-based Daytonas had seconds at 9.

rolex_daytona_elprimero_bianco_quad.jpg

crumpdaddy

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/06
By-Tor said:
crumpdaddy said:

Nope. The old Zenith El Primero-based Daytonas had seconds at 9.

rolex_daytona_elprimero_bianco_quad.jpg

Thanks By-Tor!

Do you know if there are any reps of this model available?

Roeod4

14/3/06
Yes, but they usually have bad dials or bad sub-dial spacing.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
crumpdaddy said:
By-Tor said:
crumpdaddy said:
Thanks By-Tor!

Do you know if there are any reps of this model available?

Paul has it. The subdial spacing is off and I dunno if the case (and overall watch) is as good and accurate as the new models. Not worth it, imho.
http://www.aspire-eshop.com/product_inf ... cts_id=625

Edit: Roeod beat me to it...twice. ;)

Forget the modern Daytona unless you want a ticking timebomb movement. Get the vintage Venus-version... or a Breitling or Speedmaster. ;)

acesup_11

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/3/06
so waht your saying is there is no good daytonas out there

so what your saying is there is no good daytona out there even with seconds at 9 which i dont mind either i just want it to keep good time. and how bad is the dial spacing?

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
By-Tor said:
crumpdaddy said:
http://www.aspire-eshop.com/product_inf ... cts_id=625[/url]

Edit: Roeod beat me to it...twice. ;)

Forget the modern Daytona unless you want a ticking timebomb movement. Get the vintage Venus-version... or a Breitling or Speedmaster. ;)
[/quote:3gyrejww] i agree totaly. i wold love to have one but for me there are too many problems. i'm just not that into it. but that brietling and speedmaster with the blue hands is another stoy. lol

sevomd

Renowned Member
31/3/06
Roeod4 said:
The problem is not really the movement as much as it is the modifications made to the movement so that the second run at 6. There is an extra plate with extra gears that move the seconds from 9 to 6 in the 2005 daytonas. This is what generally causes the jerky second hand. Even if you switched to the swiss version I have a feeling you would get the same result, but with a much higher price tag.

If you bought a pre-2000 Daytona with seconds at 9 the sweep would be much smoother even with an asian mocement.

That is correct. The swiss version is also modified with the extra gears. When I first got my Swiss Valjoux Daytona, the seconds hand was very jerky out of the box. When I sent it to Ziggy, he explained it was because of the extraa gears, but after cleaning and oiling of the movt, it becme much smoother.

Eddy

vreynaud

Horology Curious
27/7/06
crumpdaddy said:

Those are the two I know for certain, however I am sure other dealers offer this piece as well.

I have been looking for these websites: I am looking for the best older daytona replicas.
is there a listing of these websites, maybe a rating from you guys on the quality: face, movement etc...
thx in advance
PS I found "king" but not MBW etc...

Bigshooter

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
vreynaud said:
crumpdaddy said:

I have been looking for these websites: I am looking for the best older daytona replicas.
is there a listing of these websites, maybe a rating from you guys on the quality: face, movement etc...
thx in advance

MBW is out of the picture right now don't even worry about that one

Start here.

http://www.trustytime.com/

http://perfect-clones.com/

Repmaniac

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
15/3/06
Just a comment on the subdial spacing on the pre-2000 models w [email protected]. It's one of those flaws you can actually see from 6 feet away.

The vintage (Paul Newman) Daytonas are very nice.......just not as "busy" as the modern ones.

vreynaud

Horology Curious
27/7/06
Bigshooter said:
vreynaud said:
crumpdaddy said:

thx in advance

MBW is out of the picture right now don't even worry about that one

Start here.

http://www.trustytime.com/

http://perfect-clones.com/

thanks, I am looking at them

question: is the "asian" movement bad?, do the stop watch & other features on the daytona actually work?