• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swapping out my 21j for 2836 or other 25j

RepPossessed

100 watches in the uk 🤌🏼
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
Ok so i got a dead movement.. im thinking of doing my first movement swap..

So is this straight forward? these are my questions

Do i also need to swap the dial to allow the dial feet to match the movement? or can the 25j fit onto existing dial?

Do the hands of a 2813 fit onto a 25j?

and how easy is it to swap the new crown stem with the existing crown stem?

or does the existing one fit the 25j?

thanks in advance

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Stem height will be the big problem - dial feet will need to be clipped and the dial stuck in place with dial dots or similar, hands won't fit, so you'll need to buy replacements.

Stem height on a DG2813 - 2.5 mm

ETA 2870, ETA 2872, or ETA 2878 have a stem height compatible with the above movement.

For Miyota 8215 (and the Chinese 3800 series) there are six ETAs with the same stem height: the 2870 and 2871, which are dateless, the 2872 and 2873, which are date, and the 2878 and 2879, which are day/date.

If the stem height is 1.80 mm use a 2824-2.

If the stem height is 2.25 mm use a 2836-2.

The stem from the new movement will need to be attached to the crown, easy enough to do, but cutting it to the right length can often lead to tears and swearing.

RepPossessed

100 watches in the uk 🤌🏼
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
[MENTION=48066]tripdog[/MENTION] so I can't just buy a ETA suitable dial? The stem height would still be an issue right?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
@tripdog so I can't just buy a ETA suitable dial? The stem height would still be an issue right?

I wonder if the 21j hibeat are a direct swap?? But might be tricky to find?

Buying a dial with ETA positioned feet will mean the dial slots in to position without problem, the stem height is the hole in the movement where the stem slots in - some movements are 'fatter' than others, some have the stem hole sitting closer to the back of the movement, some the inverse - this is the stem height issue as you can't work around it really - unless you start machining the case inside.

21j high beat ( DG4803 IIRC ) movements are a straight swap - Cousins UK has them, problems arise if you have applied indices - submariner type indices, the hour hand might not clear them as the hands sit very close to the dial.

What is the watch?

François.Fillon

Renowned Member
19/11/16
Very usefull [MENTION=48066]tripdog[/MENTION] thanks,
i keep a place in my ministry of Time for you :)

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
The DG4813 is a direct swap but unfortunately they are no longer made with the taller hand pins needed for the Rolex case. Some other maker has an alleged DG2813 hi-beat but from what I've heard, it's a real POS!

I happen to have one of the last of those older DG4813 movements in an original TTK Noobmariner. Great running hi-beat movement.

RepPossessed

100 watches in the uk 🤌🏼
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
Buying a dial with ETA positioned feet will mean the dial slots in to position without problem, the stem height is the hole in the movement where the stem slots in - some movements are 'fatter' than others, some have the stem hole sitting closer to the back of the movement, some the inverse - this is the stem height issue as you can't work around it really - unless you start machining the case inside.

21j high beat ( DG4803 IIRC ) movements are a straight swap - Cousins UK has them, problems arise if you have applied indices - submariner type indices, the hour hand might not clear them as the hands sit very close to the dial.

What is the watch?

Your'e the man trip..

yeah its a sub.. :sigh: Im trying to make a pvd hulk sub, i found the donor watch with a 21j i just wanted to get a 25j in there but i guess il just have to settle for a 21j.. and swap in a new dial and the bezel insert

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11

What is the watch?

@tripdog What highbeat movements are in the 21j JKF vintage subs? They look like 2813s but the beat rate is 28.8. Are they 4813s?