• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swapping Crown and Tube on my PO - Advice?

Kahn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/5/08
Hey guys...I been looking around for a tutorial on swapping tube and crown on my PO, but I can't seem to find one. I could probably figure it out, but any advice or "this is how to" would be greatly appreciated!

BTW: all I could afford right now was the GEN hour, minute, second hands and the Gen crown and tube. I've got the Silix UPO dial, but I really want a gen dial.
Don't think I can hold myself back on swapping the hands though.....

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Ok... First job is to remove the rep tube. If you have no need for it, do the following:

Decase the movement. After movement is out, take ONLY the crown and screw it back in to the tube. Keep screwing in till the end of the case. Use a help of pliers to continue screwing in... Be careful not to scratch the case/the surrounding. Tube + crown will be out very easily.

Second method is to use the tube only + pliers... Very dangerous, may scratch the surrounding and tube is goner.

Third method, remove everything, left with the case only (even bezel insert + crystal + all gaskets have to removed) then soaked it into solvent for a couple of hours. Tube will be out in no time too.

PS: I have tried using those expensive horotec key tools. None fits, this tool can only be used on vintage Omegas and most Rolexes.

Then for installation, very easy... You need a new ETA2824/36 stems to be shortened to appropriate length.

First, install the tube. The gen tube is much smaller in diameter than the rep tube. Be very careful, don't install it the other way round. The part that is supposed to go to the case has the screw thread outside (not in the tube). You can attach this part to the case using a waterproof epoxy, A+B. Apply in moderation in both case and threaded tube to make sure it will do its job for preventing leakage. Make sure they fit in perpendicular too... You can use a clamp to make sure they are fitted properly. Don't rush. Wait 24 hours. Check again for leakage.

Now for the crown installation... Shorten the new ETA stem... the rep one will not fit 100%, you need to adjust the length too. You need pin vice to put the crown into this new stem.

Then just assemble everything back... You will get this:
P4170543.jpg

or this
DSCN4378.jpg

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
No matter how good you mod this watch, it will still be a rep. I am saving up for the gen.

Kahn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/5/08
Thanks very much takashi....greatly appreciated! I can do that tube swap.

One question: You are definately recommending using a new stem, right?