• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swap Asian Automatic 21J out for an ETA 2824 or 2836 in PO

scottyhammond

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/4/07
I am considering the purchase of a 42mm PO from Andrew
http://www.ttwristwatch.com/index.php?m ... 6244de994d

It comes with the Asian 21j movement. If the 21j eventually dies, is it possible to swap the movement for an ETA? I know I will need to change the hands (Gen?) but otherwise would the new movement physically fit the case and have the stem line up, etc.?

Thanks for any insight.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
No you can't. Besides, this is a bad rep in comparison to the more expensive model. Save a few more dollars and get the eta version, you will be happy you did. Your other option is to buy the 45mm PO Lite. Its exactly the same as the Ultimate PO, only with an asian movement. At $128 this is the best value out there IMO.

scottyhammond

2/4/07
Thanks Andreww - I appreciate your clarification and advice! I have seen considerably debate between Asian and (replica) ETA movements. Do you have an opinion here?

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
As stated many times before, Swiss movements give you nothing more than the ability to repair, get parts for, or service the movement in the future. Some asian movements can be replaced for very little money. The question you have to ask is how long do you expect your watch to last? If you are dreaming of growing old with a certain watch, then by all means get the swiss version, service it every five years or so, and enjoy it for years. If you are more likely to wear a watch for a year or two, then move on to the next great rep, then an asian movement will suit your needs. Remember, servicing is expensive. Especially when you consider the initial investment in the watch. A $250 7750 chrono will cost over $200 to service. My philosophy for most of my watches is to simply replace them when they wear out. A couple of my real prized watches will get serviced when the time comes.

Bottom line is that there is no right answer. The only caveat is that in most cases the asian version of a watch is inferior to the swiss version. Certain watches, like the Ultimate PO or to a lesser extent, the Superocean, are available in both swiss and asian. But, for the most part, the asian versions feature inferior crystals, AR, bracelets, dials, measurements, etc.

If you are unsure about a watch, it doesn't hurt to ask here :D

scottyhammond

2/4/07
Thanks again Andreww. I do tend to hang on to things for a while so ETA sounds like it is the way to go.

Now, since you offered... :roll:

I have had good luck with Paul of late, so here is one from his site:

http://www.wo-mart.com/product_info.php ... ts_id=1203

It comes with an ETA 2836 and already has the rubber strap. This is going to be the one I wear camping and such, so it makes more sense than a bracelet. The fact that he doesn't charge $30 for shipping and that I wouldn't need to buy a strap in addition to the watch makes it rather attractive cost-wise - probably $60 or $70 worth.

He is calling it the "5th Version". To my untrained eye the crown and date window look decent but the hands appear a bit short and the second hand tip a bit lighter shade of orange, so probably not the same as the "Ultimate". But perhaps good enough if I change to gen hands in the future?

Thanks again for your opinions!

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Looks like the old version with 20mm lugs (not 22 a they are supposed to be). Case looks thin. He valve is in the wrong place. Crown is too small. No AR.

Stay away!

scottyhammond

2/4/07
Wow! :shock: How many watches do you have to buy to pick up on these things just from a few photographs??

Definitely a good education. Thanks Andreww! [smilie=notworthy.gif]

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
when you look at pics, look closely. They hide what they don't want you to see.

Here the crown looks the proper size, but it appears to be unscrewed. Why?
W2093.jpg

Because the crown is too short, and barely clears the side of the case when screwed in...
W2093-5.jpg

scottyhammond

2/4/07
"Here the crown looks the proper size, but it appears to be unscrewed. Why?"

I always thought it was to stop the second hand so it wouldn't be blurry with slower shutter speeds. Now I know better...