• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Diary of a Newbie and the "First Order" with Ryan at InTime

erinboy

Horology Curious
8/6/15
I have been interested for years in watches and have owned gen Omegas in years gone by. I now have a collection of Marathon, Victorinox and LumiNox military models that I rotate and wear daily. I decided a few months to explore the rep market and, fortunately, found this forum in the process. I read everything I could find on this forum about watches, dealers, deals gone bad and how to approach the selection and ordering process in a way that would minimize the chance of frustration and $ loss. I then joined RWI and became a supporting member because we should all support the efforts here and the benefits we get from the site. I have not posted much because I had nothing really to offer at that point and did not want to just post to build a post count. I eventually found answers to all my questions and also avoided getting flamed for not doing my research! :thumbup: The reasoning for sending people off to do that research is very sound, there is a wealth of information here if you just look. Here are the things I did right:
  1. Learned the language of this hobby and other details from RWI.
  2. Learned how the rep ordering process and product evaluation effort works and how many sharks are actually out there waiting for you.
  3. Decided what level of rep detail and inaccuracies were acceptable to me balanced off with the level of investment I wanted to make. (I learned along the way that these are really related).
  4. Became a Supporting Member because sites like this are wonderful but expensive to maintain.
  5. After all the above and deciding on what I wanted, I chose Ryan at InTime for my first order, a Sub 116610 LN black ceramic LF 1:1 Best Edition. This was a very fortunate move on my part because Ryan was very patient and helpful to me through my first order. I got my Sub less that 2 weeks after I ordered and really love it! It is everything I hoped it would be. It was worth the time and effort to get it right the first time!
  6. I was so pleased that the day after I got the first order I ordered a Sub 116619 LB Blue Ceramic 1:1 Noob Best Edition V2. I got it yesterday only 12 days after my order and that, my friends, is good customer service! I love this model and am thinking over which watch to get my wife.
  7. As far as I am concerned, it would take extraordinary circumstances for me to use any dealer other than InTime and Ryan.
  8. I will work on my photo sharing capabilities and get some pics out. Go on Ryan's site to see them now.

In closing I would encourage all Newbies:
  1. Do your product and dealer research to make sure you get the watch you want without getting ripped off!
  2. Use only Trusted Dealers like Ryan and use them often enough to build up a degree of rapport and trust. Be as loyal to your selected dealer as you would like them to be to you.
  3. Enjoy the hobby and be nice to people, this is supposed to be fun. I realize that there are some people who will never be happy in any deal they do and the best thing to do is avoid them. Ryan is a good guy and will help you, be nice to him.
Jerry