• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Supplier of movements and movement parts

cazna52

Getting To Know The Place
4/11/09
After destroying two ST16 movements this weekend I am wondering if anyone knows a good dealer for replacement movements and parts for movements. After spending a few hours on google I was only able to find one dealer selling movements and for the price he is charging I would be better off buying a rep and gutting it.

I have also started buying watches off ebay to gut but I am sure there must be a cheaper way to get movements.

Personicus

24/4/10
Try googling "ETA Movement" and then click the shopping tab.

Some jeweler's suppliers come up and you can get a new ETA movements for about $50-100

I hope that helps.

sftosendai

Getting To Know The Place
22/8/10
Can pretty much any of the ETA movements on www.ofrei.com/ fit in a rep rolex submariner?
I have the tools but am wondering about which movement will be best? I have an old, pretty bad Submariner rep that I would like to "fix up" a bit, so I am looking for a new movement and possibly a new crystal since mine has a pretty bad cyclops date magnifier. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks, sftosendai

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Just get the cyclops and replace it only if the crystal is unscratched. Getting a crystal to fit will be a struggle and you would end up having to buy a plain one and fit a cyclops anyway.

As for the Movement, do you have a clone or a 21j in that watch? If it's a clone you need the same size ETA to replace it so it fits the movement ring. If you have a 21j, forget it, buy another 21j for it because you will need to get new hands, a movement ring and the dial seats differently as well. You will also need to replace the ETA date ring with the correct Rolex font and if you use a 21j doner watch the ring won't fit either so a new one is required.

AT THE OP (cazna): If you want to start learning movement repair I suggest you begin with a simple handwind in a large calibre such as a Panerai style of MVT. These can be bought from any of the above or from our own trusted dealer jacksontse for very little money. Everything on these is a little bit bigger and they are a nice simple MVT to work on. I can send you the ETA tech sheet on them if you like, that will show you the exploded view so you know what goes where and it may have an animated strip down as well.

Col.

imbisibol

1/1/11
hi trailboss99, im also interested in movement repair, would you please furnish me a copy of your tech sheet... :)