• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sunny xtals installed - beginning of two PO projects

Z3k0

Renowned Member
2/1/07
Croatia
Few months ago I ordered two POs, UPO 45.5 and 5th gen 42 mm, with idea to start one or two franken projects. So, I liquidated part of my collection and started :) I must say Sunnydale crystals came in perfect time for me, since neither UPO nor 5th gen PO have crystals that are even close to acceptable for such a project. 5th gen crystal is a bit better than UPO crystal, but still nowhere close to perfect. First I got one of Sunnys first batch UPO crystals, and it was already better than either of these two rep crystals, but this new "super" AR crystals are really fantastic. For the moment I removed gen crystals from to-do list. Unfortunately, 42mm PO dial is currently out of stock at Cousins, but it should be back on 12th of February, and when they get it I'll continue these builds.

IMG_0146.jpg

Current status of these two projects is:
UPO:
- Sunny super AR crystal
- Gen DW
- Paint mod on seconds hand
- Aftermarket insert with gen pearl
- Gen buckle
To do:
- Gen dial, hands, crown, tube
- maybe He valve

5th gen:
- Sunny super AR
- Gen seconds hand
- Gen DW
To do:
- Gen dial, hands, crown, tube
- Gen bracelet endlinks
- maybe He valve

Considering rep parts, i prefer dial texture and color on UPO dial, although dial lume on UPO is crap and it is decent on 5th gen. Both dials are black, of course, but 5th gen dial is not so "deep" black like UPO dial, and in some situations it has some strange green-ish hue (at first I tought it was due crystal, but it is not).

Some more pictures:

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

Lume shot - on left is UPO with gen pearl, on right is 5th gen with gen seconds hand:

IMG_0158.jpg

regards

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
Super nice watches, congrats! I don't believe my eyes how nice aftermarket insert you have on your UPO, the pearl is so well centered it is just like gen! And my crystal, well, you were lucky to get that :) The only difference I see is the dial date window, genuine dial has other kind of edges - not bad and will be corrected :)

Also the PO insert has very nice centered pearl, are they this good these days?

Great pictures too! My Franken UPO says heLLo!

WP_000281800x600_zps4e4e9659.jpg

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Wonderful pics my friend!!! The crystal on the PO looks just amazing! Great couple for sure.

Thanks for sharing!

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Fantastic pics Z3, they are awesome gen pearl mods! The crystals look amazing.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Where did the pearls come from? They look great.

grejfoku

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/1/13
Beautyful wathes with beautyful pearls and perfect looking crystals. I ordered my one from Sunnydale today:)

Z3k0

Renowned Member
2/1/07
Croatia
Thanks guys !
Pearl on UPO is from eBay, it came on a used and beaten Seamaster insert, I guess I just got lucky. On 5th gen it's rep bezel and pearl, unmoded, as it came when I bought it - I guess me being lucky again :)