• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Stuck pre-v screws HELP

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Seems like both of them are stripped and I can't find a way to remove them. Any ideas? When I turn they just stay put. Debated on putting some super glue in a tooth pick and attaching it to the stripped head. But I then run a chance of the glue running in-between and add them I would really be screwed.

Everett270

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
10/4/15
US
A picture might help. Is the slot gone or are the threads in the case stripped? If the head is just stripped, you could snip the bar in the middle and then use some small vice grips or pliers to grab the protruding shank and turn. A bit of heat on the lug with the threads helps release loctite. This all might require sacrificing the strap that I'm assuming is still installed.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Yeah. Not wanting to sacrifice the strap. Its the double lug screw. Only guess was cutting the strap off but that's really the last resort. Thought about take a small saw and cutting the screw between the case and lug. And bending the tube down to remove it.

Everett270

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
10/4/15
US
You should be able to do what you proposed without too much issue. Worst case, the screw breaks at the threads but you already have a guide hole to drill the broken part out if you go through the hole in the other lug. You likely couldn't save the threads, but they make springbars that look just like the screws.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Where have you found a double head spring bar? I know they have them for newer Panerai. But not pre vendome.

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Perhaps you should try blasting them with strong compressed air to see if the screw heads pop off? I have a large compressor in my garage that generates some serious pressure without damaging anything.

Alternatively, I would try using JB Weld to attach a small steel rod to the head of the screws with - JBW is not as viscous as super glue but very strong once cured... I recently bought some 2mm steel rod on amazon that might work.

Last edited:
Reactions: COLDI

EM9

Watch Acquisition Disorder
Supporter
Certified
7/8/18
28.3772° N, 81.5707° W
Perhaps you should try blasting them with strong compressed air to see if the screw heads pop off? I have a large compressor in my garage that generates some serious pressure without damaging anything.

Alternatively, I would try using JB Weld to attach a small steel rod to the head of the screws with - JBW is not as viscous as super glue but very strong once cured... I recently bought some 2mm steel rod on amazon that might work.
This ^^. I've used JB Weld in the past after thinning a spare old bar end down then attaching with Weld. I also run springbars in some of my DSN cases and they work fine.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
I may try jb weld and a skinny paperclip! Thank you all