• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Strap thickness

t3steve

Known Member
19/5/19
California, United States
I just got a new Pam127 and its about at the limit of my wrist size. In my limited experience a thicker strap helps by curving out more around the wrist instead of going straight down and balancing the watch size. I am using a 5mm (measures just under 5mm) DC strap on my Pam438 and its perfect on this 44mm watch.
I am thinking about buying a 6mm strap for the 127 but worry that the combined 12mm thickness when the two ends overlap might be too much. Maybe have the straps tapered from 6mm down to 5mm from the lug to the overlap area?
Does anyone here have any experience with this?

Stephen

Martycus

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/10/14
CONUS
Hey Stephen - Depending on who's making your strap, the makers will work with you to accommodate your needs . For example, both @Woundup and I have collaborated with David Cordes who will listen to your objectives and make recommendaations. We (woundup and I) both had specific requirements, e.g. material, thickness, padding, length and width and he's been very good in this regards .

There are other strap makers who can also make a besppoke strap to your requirements but David is just one example from personal experiance.

Reactions: @(^_^)@

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Personally I think a 6mm strap at the lug ends would be a bit much on a Fiddy due to the sharp taper of the lugs. It might also be difficult to mount unless the strap maker can thin the section that wraps around the lug bar.

As @Martycus stated, most decent strap makers would have no issue with tapering the thickness to your preferred specs. The most typical for me is 5mm at the lug tapering to 4mm, which is very comfortable.

Reactions: @(^_^)@