• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Strap bleaching

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
I got a really nice strap from Elliot's Big Balls #4, but it was not as nice as the Il Mupetto I got before it and Hari has graciously chosen me as his second for the black shark, so I will be getting a pure black strap. The Oreo black/white was nice, but while photographing it, I had so much flat light on it it turned grey in one photo and that made me sit up and want a grey and white strap.

So, arming myself with Enzo's excellent distressing article, I decided to lighten my strap and age it a little as well. Off came the black t-shirt and on went a skanky white one, as Mrs Pugwash told me no matter how careful one is with bleach, you will get it on your shirt.

You'll have to excuse the picture quality as my kitchen isn't set up for photography.

bleach%20-%2001.jpg

Colour check. Both black.
bleach%20-%2002.jpg

In it goes, pure bleach and a strap. The spoon is to keep the strap submerged.
bleach%20-%2003.jpg

Only the finest straps used here, which proved quite annoying as the waterproofing meant it took a considerable amount of time to get to the leather. Good work from Toscana, though. Hats off.
bleach%20-%2004.jpg

See? It's getting lighter. Nowhere near light enough, says he not realising that being damp makes it hugely dark. I took it out and washed off the slime every 5-10 minutes.
bleach%20-%2005.jpg

Ooh, brown. No! I wanted black/grey! Note the shitty strap that comes with the watch being added as we were already an hour in and nothing was happening, or so I thought.
bleach%20-%2006.jpg

The shitty strap turned brown and paintless in minutes.
bleach%20-%2007.jpg

That'll do. Lets compare it, dry it and go to bed. Leave the Oreo to dry and soak the shitty strap in salt water just to see what happens.
bleach%20-%2008.jpg

Next morning, this is what they looked like. Holy crap, that's almost white! What have I done!
bleach%20-%2009.jpg

Look at how light it is! That's the original keeper, as I remove the seconds on my straps. Ok, let's be honest, it's not looking bad.
bleach%20-%2010.jpg

Some people say Mink Oil is excellent, but Macadamia is apparently what the experts say ... um, I have in my fridge. Seriously, Macadamia is like Mink Plus, and Mrs Pugwash, who is well on her way to being a professional aromatherapy masseuse, has a huge variety of exotic oils. She had a large bottle of Minkadamia, thankfully.
bleach%20-%2011.jpg

Both straps being oiled. They'll lighten up after this, but that oil really does do the job.
bleach%20-%2012.jpg

The final Toscana Oreo Plus on The Legend.
bleach%20-%2013.jpg

I hate to say it, but this could have gone wrong so many times, but just didn't. I'm very happy with my result. I'll show you what happens to the shitty strap, which is looking good, oiled and sanded ...

Thanks to Enzo for inspiring me, and thanks to Big E for selling me a decent bit of leather cheap.

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
Interesting. I admire your courage.

The end result looks terrific. I might have to try it one day.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
tutima said:
Interesting. I admire your courage.

The end result looks terrific. I might have to try it one day.

I have Big Balls. That's the point. :D

bignasty

16/3/06
I did this with my rep Fiddy strap. You know the pleather ones that come with reps. It actually looked cool but couldn't get over the bleachy smell that remains to this day!

Jon

Novesh

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/06
what happen to the crap strap?

im interested for I too have a strap which I am in the mood of destroying.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Novesh said:
what happen to the crap strap?

im interested for I too have a strap which I am in the mood of destroying.

For all interested parties, here are the straps:
Toscana:
TheLegend-16.jpg

Crappy:
TheLegend-14.jpg

Novesh

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/06
wow that crappy turned out well.

time for bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaachhhhhhh

Novesh

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/06
Pugwash said:
Novesh said:
wow that crappy turned out well.
I got lucky. I like the way they both turned out.

agreed, though I've done this type of stuff before with different materials, I have no remorse for the crap strap, if it turns out crappy, its no ones loss.

I will post after I am done (=